Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another Interesting Visit

Several months ago I had a very random ministry opportunity come my way when a lady in crisis called the church wanting to visit with a minister. I wrote about our visit(s) in a couple of blog entries because it became a very meaningful and interesting connection.

I hadn't heard from her in a few months but I have often thought about how she is doing and how her life is going. She emailed me last week to set up an appointment today to come by and visit.

Again, it was a time when I knew I was doing what I was supposed to be doing...I felt useful and helpful. It was a huge blessing to hear how she was doing and try to help her sort through the ongoing issues in her life. For me, the relationship that has developed with her has been a clear reminder of how God works in ways we don't even see or understand. I'm certain God could have used any minister on staff to work with this lady. However, I find it interesting that I happened to be the one who ended up with this lady...I don't think it was a coincidence. I see too many cool ways God has used my life story to connect with this lady who needed someone who had experienced great pain in order to be credible and somewhat effective (in her eyes).

The nice thing...is that she has been an encouragement in my life. At the end of each time I have talked with her she has thanked me and told me that she has seen other counselors but that I had "brought something home to her" that had been very helpful that had been missing with other counselors. I guess maybe it's just nice to be appreciated....and she is a very well educated, professional, and successful business lady. So, it encourages me to hear that from someone I would respect a lot in real life. And, since I now understand that "words of affirmation" is my primary love language, her encouraging words have a very powerful effect on me. I suppose that is another missing element in my life without Brian. He was very affirming to me and there is a huge need for that often goes unfilled. I know not to look to others to try to fill it but it is nice when those words are spoken....I treasure them.

This has been an interesting ride....I have seen such a change in her life...not because of me, but because of how she has earnestly sought God and earnestly sought to work through her pain. I'm just thankful I have had a front row seat to see God move and work in her life.

Who knows if I will ever hear from her again....I believe it was around Christmas that I visited with her last time....but, I am thankful for stories and relationships that continue to play out and show up in unexpected and timely ways.

For the way I feel when I know God has shown up....I am so grateful.

1 comment:

Gigi said...

I have a friend, a victim of childhood sexual abuse and we talk about being 'uniquely gifted'...a gift you'd never want but one He gave anyway...you too are uniquely gifted to minister....