Thursday, April 16, 2009

Things that make me smile...

My kids have made me smile and laugh a whole lot lately. Here are a few of the more memorable happenings of this past month....

1). Lexi was the narrator for a play in her class. It was "Charlotte's Web" and her teacher asked the kids to think up costume ideas for each person. Someone suggested the narrator wear all black. Lexi proceeded to tell them that her mom wouldn't let her wear all black (not sure where that came from...I never remember telling her she couldn't wear all black). So, they compromised and she told them she would wear something brown. In the meantime, we had our Maundy Thursday dinner and she wore a pink, white and brown biblical costume. It was a smock type dress and then a multi-color robe with a belt (see pics of our Maundy Thursday dinner in this blog). Sooo, Lexi decided to use the biblical costume for her narrator costume. I tried to reason with her (Charlotte's Web and biblical costumes really don't go together) but she was dead set on wearing the biblical costume for the Charlotte's Web play. I obviously gave in and she stuffed the costume in her backpack and wore it proudly for the play. Right after the play they had a Jump Rope for Heart party and there was no time for her to change. So, she went to the party with her biblical costume on. Keep in mind that everyone else had on their regular school uniform, except Lexi. When she returned to her room, someone had taken her uniform clothes (apparently Molly, who is by the way the tallest girl in the entire 2nd grade thought they were hers and took them???). She couldn't find them anywhere so her teacher sent her on to Runner's Club in her biblical costume. She ran 2 miles in her full biblical costume. I can only imagine the looks she got as she ran around the trail. I am sure there were lots of giggles. The funny thing to me is that she came home completely unphased by it all. She laughed as she told me the story. She wore the costume the rest of the evening. She went up the street to play with the neighbors in her costume. She was proud of it and happy to wear it. I have laughed and laughed about that because I can only imagine her trying to Jump Rope in a biblical costume...and then to run two miles in it....that's just more than I can think about without giggling. I love that she wasn't embarrassed and that she found humor in it...she is her own person and I like that.

2). Braden walked in on Lexi taking a bath and declared his astonishment at the difference between her body and his. He was aghast that she didn't have a peepee. He called me in there to point it out (as if it were some emergency, "MOM, MOM, COME HERE!!!"). I tried to very matter of factly let him know that he was a boy and she was a girl and girls don't have peepees. Oh, the look on his face....it was priceless.

3). I was described by one of my counseling clients as her "kick-butt L.P.C". Somehow, when I was going to school and envisioning what it would be like to be an LPC, I never imagined a client making a public declaration like this. Still, I suppose it is better than the alternative.

Just a few random funnies....it seems like there was one more I meant to share but I can't for the life of me remember what it was...


For smiles and laughter....and visions of Lexi running in her biblical garb, I am grateful!!!

No comments: