Wednesday, April 15, 2009

He'd love to know....

Brian was a very involved and proud father. He did a lot of things with the kids that most dads would never do. Just a couple of weeks before he died he took Lexi to the mall and bought her several new outfits. And, they were really cute! Brian had every intention of celebrating every milestone and supporting them wholeheartedly through any and all circumstances they might find themselves in. He was a fantastic father and the kids recognize and respect that about him.

So, I know he'd love to know how well the kids are doing. Report cards came out today and the kids did fantastic! I wish he were here to read the following comments from their teachers:

For Nathan: What could I possibly say about Nathan's work ethic that I have not already stated this year? His work ethic is an ideal standard that I'd like to have all students strive to replicate. He not only puts forth his best effort on a daily basis, but he does this with such a positive attitude. He is an exceptionally hardworking, conscientious, respectful, and diligent student who is also warm, caring, and compassionate towards his classmates. It's truly been my privilege having him as part of our classroom community this year.

For Lexi: Lexi continues to give and do her personal best each and every day! She takes full responsibility for her learning and always spends her class time wisely. She has become much more confident in her abilities and more comfortable using her voice to express thoughts and opinions. She recently completed a project on her literature circle book in which she demonstrated understanding of the characters and the story itself. She took her role as narrator very seriously and worked hard to perfect her lines. I was extremely proud of her dedication and determination to be the best she could be. I am very proud of Lexi's progress and I know the best is yet to come!

Brian would be very proud of them. I wish he were here to celebrate their growth and learning! I've gotten used to the fact that he is no longer here. I've adjusted, learned to manage, done some healing, and begun to move forward. I understand all of that....it just doesn't seem fair that he's not here to see his own children grow up. While I know it doesn't really matter to him now, it would have mattered to him so very much if he were still here. He would be grinning from ear to ear....and there would be lots of high fives and hugs....

I know he would also be proud of me and excited about all that is going on in my own life. At the awards banquet today I received the "so and so and such and such" (don't want to use their names because of google) award of excellence in childhood education for academic achievement, excellence, and potential for success in the field of childhood education. Along with the honor came a cash award. When I picked the kids up from school I showed them the certificate, the awards program that listed me as a winner, and the check. They were very impressed. It was actually funny how impressed they were with the check. If nothing else, it was a good example of what happens when you work hard. I could see the lightbulbs going off in Nathan's head...."if I make good grades, I get checks!"....even more motivation for him.


I know he'd love to know all these things.....and maybe he does....

My kids aren't the smartest kids in the school....or the fastest...or the best athletes...or the best-looking----they aren't considered "gifted and talented"......but I do think they are doing well at being "their" best....because they are putting in their best effort every day....and it looks like they are well on their way to reaching "their" potential...and for that I am so grateful....

1 comment:

Marsha said...

He is SO very proud of you and his children--tears are streaming down my face...