Monday, September 14, 2009

The things they say....and do!

The kids have an ever expanding vocabulary and I suppose I have just started noticing it the past few weeks. Braden's favorite new way to address an issue is "FIRST of all...blah, blah, blah and SECOND of all....blah, blah, blah and then THIRD OF ALL, blah, blah, blah. " He sounds like an attorney cross-examing a witness when he gets on a kick about something he is passionate about (like whether it is HIS turn to pick what show we watch..:))

Braden's teacher emailed me today and let me know that she has had to talk to him about appropriate ways to show compassion. There is a little girl in his class who has had a hard time adjusting to kindergarten. Apparently he has been trying to soothe her by running his fingers through her hair or letting her sit in his lap. Today he came home and said "Mrs. Jean won't let me touch her anymore." He, of course, did not see what the problem was so we had a nice talk about it....I think I am in trouble when he is a teenager...

Lexi was explaining to me where something was the other day and she used the term "vertically" as she described how something was placed. I was impressed. She also has been reading a lot of books lately and has been explaining to me what is going on in the story using five dollar words. Interesting. Last night she was talking about a book she is listening to on the Ipod and we had another one of those conversations that leave me thinking what a great kid she is turning out to be. This particular story is about four girls whose mom died and their dad is dating. The girls try to sabotage the dates because they don't want their dad dating anyone. Lexi went into long detail about this story. So, I asked her, "is that how you would feel if I ever dated?" She very matter of factly said, "no, I wouldn't really care because that is your decision to make if you want to date anyone." I said, "really, you wouldn't care?" She assured me that was my decision to make. I had to laugh to myself on that one. I told her, "well, trust me it would have to be someone very special if I ever dated anyone...so I don't think you have to worry. You kids are my priority right now." She just said "ok, I know dad was really special". Gosh I love that girl. She rocks my world.

Nathan isn't real verbal and descriptive but he has been correcting the other two on a regular basis. He sometimes surprises me with how much he really does know. He is also doing a great job of doing simple chores around the house and fixing his lunch every night. I am sure it helps that he now gets an allowance and when he does things without being asked he can earn a little extra...gotta love bribery.

Speaking of allowances...I have three different kids and three different ways to handling money. Nathan is a saver. He doesn't like to part with his money. He is always asking what he can do to earn more money, and then he mainly saves it. Lexi is a giver. This week we talked about tithing their allowance and she gave 3 times what would have been her tithe. Then, she knew that Nathan wanted a new Wii game and so she chipped in more than anyone else to help buy it. A couple of weeks ago she got some "Bunch bucks" from school and instead of buying something for herself she bought things for Nathan and Braden. Speaking of Braden...Braden is a spender. He just got his allowance Friday and by Friday night it was all gone. At first he wasn't going to help buy the new Wii game but then he realized if he didn't give any to help pay for it he wouldn't be able to play. So, he spent all of his money so that he could have a say over the new game. When I asked him where his tithe money was on Sunday he realized that he forgot to save that back...so, we had to pilfer through his change to get enough to give on Sunday. I can see where all three of them have issues in handling money that will need to be addressed and adjusted if they want to learn to manage it effectively...

Kids are so different...and interesting...and fun to watch grow and develop.


For the funny things they say and do, I am grateful.

No comments: