Friday, September 04, 2009

Redrawing the Boundaries...

I spent a good deal of time tonight with the kids redrawing the boundaries for them. I liken it to a soccer field. At the beginning of the season they mark the fields and the out of bounds is very clear and distinct. As the season wears on the field, the lines get blurred and even disappear.

I think some of the boundary lines in our family have blurred or almost disappeared.

I am the only one who is responsible for keeping those lines maintained. I haven't been doing a very good job of it lately. My mind has been distracted and I have let things go without addressing them.

I will say that is very difficult to fight the battles that need to be fought when there is just one parent. I grow weary of the fight....and turn to "survival" mode. "Survival" mode is not a healthy or fun place to be. When I am just trying to "survive" I find that I am "enduring" my kids rather than "enjoying" them.

I want that to change.

I laid out some plans for that to change tonight. We'll see if it makes a difference.

I enjoyed the evening with my kids tonight (after we had the "come to Jesus" meeting). I need to adjust some of my parenting style. I need to find a way to be less "distracted". My mind is always thinking about the next thing I need to be doing...instead of focused on them.

I need to seek God more faithfully....and find ways to use "teachable" moments to influence my kids towards a relationship with Christ.

This is one of those times when I feel so inadequate as a parent....really, who would have thought it could be this hard, this demanding.....

For the gift of children, I am grateful....for grace when we mess up, I'm especially thankful.

No comments: