Monday, August 20, 2007

Questioning Someone's Faith

I was talking yesterday with a visitor at our church who had a preschooler in our area. She and her husband and two children had just moved here to go to seminary. She was friendly enough....I enjoyed answering her questions and trying to make her feel at home. She then started down this "yellow brick road of faith" talking about how they had moved here and God had showed them the "exact" house they were to live in....it was the last one they looked at....she described it as though God reached down from the sky and pointed to it so they would be sure to know it was "the right one"....something inside of me just struggled with the way she was describing every decision they had made....she made it seem as though they had God on speed-dial and He was there just waiting to give them whatever they asked. I found myself tuning her out a little....thinking to myself "o.k. don't want to burst your bubble, but I think you may be over estimating God's involvment in your life"....

Where did THAT come from? Since when do I raise a skeptical eyebrow when someone describes their relationship with God as though she was the only one God had to worry about.....what does that say about me, about my faith? Am I becoming hardened to other people's expression of their faith? I don't want to....I want to be as wide-eyed as the next person about my faith....but I'm not....

Why is that? I feel like I am growing spiritually....I am more dependent on God than I have ever been in my life....I have felt His presence more clearly in the past two years than at any other time in my life....

Yet..I am probably more skeptical of some people's faith than I have ever been....and, I don't really think God is all that involved in orchestrating every event of our life....I believe He gives us direction....He gives us wisdom....He gives us Godly counsel to seek out....but, does he really care about every single little detail and decision of our life? Does He care whether I wear white socks or no socks? Does he care if I buy a new dishwasher or fix the old one? Should I be looking for a sign from him to tell me what I should do? Or, do I use what knowledge, wisdom and resources He has given me and make the best decision I can....

I don't know....it's just hard for me to believe that He micro-manages everything....and part of that comes from losing Brian....because, surely, if He were a micro-manager He would have told Brian not to be on that road that day....or He would have told me to tell Brian not to go to work that day....or something....I sometimes feel like people who super-spiritualize everything probably look at me and think "whoah, sad for you...you must have missed God's will for your life or something"....

I think it is dangerous for me to be questioning other people's faith....but, at the same time, I just can't reconcile their faith with what has happened to me and what that must mean about the God I serve....

random thoughts...very random.....

2 comments:

Gigi said...

Did you engage her with your story?

Shelly said...

bjk,

No, we didn't talk about anything but her life story...and that was fine....I was there to make her feel welcome and tried to do that....