Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Joys of Home Ownership

Everything is back to normal around the house. My kids are all home. The chaos is managed for now and all three of them are fast asleep. My paper is written...turned in...and I am in a holding pattern until I hear whether I have been accepted. My time seems so loose right now...no paper to write or worry about....nothing pressing on the horizon.

My house, on the other hand....seems to be going through one of those "maintenance phases"....you know, where everything tries to fall apart at the same time. Currently, I have a demon possessed garage door opener, a broken ice-maker, a newly fixed sprinkler system (yeah me...that got fixed today), a dishwasher that sounds like a cow giving birth, a microwave that randomly sparks, and an air conditioner in my car that likes to mysteriously (although today it didn't) shut off at the most inopportune times. I am thinking several thousand dollars to fix all those things....but, most of it is not all that pressing...I have been washing dishes by hand for a couple of months now....because, I know that it would be better to replace it than to fix it....and if I replace it then I have to decide if I am going to stick with white appliances or go with something else....and then if I go with something else, then the other appliances won't match...yadiyayaya...

Same thing with my sheets on the bed. I still have flannel sheets on my bed and they are not the coolest things to be sleeping on when the temperatures are as high as they have been.....my cotton sheets have holes in them....and I'd like to change all of my bedding....but, similar to the dishwasher problem....once you start, where do you end....ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching....and so I sleep on flannel sheets.

Mostly, I am just terrible at making decisions about "stuff"....I'd rather "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" than to have to go "shop" for things other than running shoes or jogging suits (I am certain that we will wear some type of comfortable athletic attire in heaven)....I tend to get somewhat overwhelmed by all the choices and by the domino effect one purchase tends to have on my pocketbook...

I wish Brian were here to take care of some of this stuff....he'd certainly put the dishwasher out of its misery and the garage door opener would get fixed sooner rather than later....he was quite the handy-man...I never had to worry about home or auto maintenance stuff....but he's not here....I miss that...I miss HIM....

I did, however, learn how to program my sprinkler system yesterday.....wow...it is pretty amazing what all you can do....I learned about the 10 stations that my system has...how to set the amount of time for each of them...how to turn off one station that isn't functioning properly....truly, it is incredible what all you can do....who knew?

Now, if I could just get that exorcism done on my garage door opener....ahhh, the joys of home ownership....

No comments: