Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why I love being a parent....

The kids came home today from their grandparents. I was ready to see them....really ready.

I decided to mow the lawn tonight...my mom is still here and I knew I could get it done without worrying about Braden burning the house down. I am out there mowing away....sweat dripping off of me....and Braden is screaming at me from the porch...."MOM!!!....MOM!!!..." I can barely hear him over the lawn mower....I don't answer him because I am hoping my mom will see what he needs so I can keep mowing....nope...he keeps screaming "MOM....MOM...MOOOOMMM!!!" I am now a little disgusted wondering what in the world is so important....I scream back at him over the mower...."WHHHAT..What do you NEED?" He screams back at me "MOOOMMM...I LOVE YOU MOM".....big smile...."I Love you TOO!!!"....and that... is why I love being a parent.....

And then....I take a shower to get rid of the buckets of sweat that had accumulated on me....and as I am getting out....there he is....and then he goes into litany of questions about how girls and boys are different....I tried to use all the appropriate words (cause that's what all the "experts" say to do..ha) ....so we had a little discussion about various body parts....and he makes some comments that make you just want to crack up....a four year old has a very interesting perspective about male and female body parts....

At bedtime we had a discussion about potty training....he wanted to know when I was potty trained and who potty trained me....he also wanted to know where he was when I was little.....uh, yeah....try explaining that to a four year old...."you weren't born yet" just didn't work...."no, I mean, where WAS I THEN?" Uh, you weren't born yet...no, mom "WHERE was I THEN?"

AHHH...Life is somewhat back to normal....and I was reminded tonight that I really do love being a parent....most of the time anyways....especially after a week without them....

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Ahhh Shelly,
Cherish those wonderful blessings-----
Marsha