Monday, October 12, 2009

Observations

I've been cell phone-less since last Friday. My phone decided to go blank Friday afternoon and I could either go to the Apple store and wait forever or have them overnight me a new phone. I chose to have it mailed to me. So, I have to say that it has been nice not to have the distraction of the cell phone. I never knew how much it impacted me on a daily basis...until it was gone.

I went to the movies with the kids today and actually watched the entire movie without interruption. Usually, I find myself reading emails, answering texts or playing with an app. It was nice.

Why is that so many children's movies contain a parent who has lost their spouse? Why is that? Think about all the movies you have seen lately and how many of them contain a story line about a widow or widower? "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" portrayed a widower dad....we saw that today. It seems like Hollywood uses that story line far too often....most every Hallmark channel movie around Christmas time is about a widow/widower falling in love and ending up living happily ever after.

Can I just be honest? I wish it were as simple as the movies make it out to be....that every young widow/widower eventually and quickly finds their happily ever after.

It hasn't been true for me.

Maybe I've had my happily ever after already.....

I guess I am ok with that...sort of...

If that is what is best for my kids...then I am good with that....

...but it will be a long, lonely life.....not so much like the movies make it out to be....

God, give me your desires for my life...and then help me find joy in my life...and give me the strength and courage necessary to equip my kids for life...help me to see in them what you see and may they reach just beyond their potential...

No comments: