Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lexi's Perspective

Kids amaze me. They have an innocent perspective on life that adults lose somewhere along the way. I was laying down to pray with Lexi tonight and I started talking to her about how she was doing and how our family was doing. My intentions were to take her temperature a little bit to see if all the stress I had been under was translating to her and her life.

I asked her on a scale of one to ten what she thought about our family. "One" is our life is terrible and "ten" is our life and family is fantastic. She immediately, without hesitation said "ten".

I was taken back that she would rate our family so high. I see a huge deficit in our family and would never be able to rate it a "ten", especially the past few weeks when things have been running at break neck speed.

I asked her why she thought we were a ten. Her answer was "because we get to do fun things and stuff...and because we have you as our parent, you know since daddy died I'm just glad we have you...I'm glad I have a parent."

I laid there in disbelief at the perspective she had. Instead of feeling cheated that she only has one parent she is thankful she has "a" parent.

She has no reason to be thankful that I'm her parent...I'm flawed, impatient, and in need of constant help from God and others...yet, she's thankful. "Thankfulness" will go a long way in her life. I told her "I think it is pretty amazing that you can be thankful that you have a parent..a lot of kids get mad at God for not letting them have two parents...you aren't choosing to be mad, you are choosing to be thankful, and I am very proud of that".

She's a pretty special gal....and I am amazed at how God has worked in her life. One of the prayers that is in my journal I wrote in just a few weeks after Brian died was that my children would not grow up angry at God...I prayed that they would love God even more because of all they had experienced. God is answering my prayer with Lexi. There isn't a hint of anger in her....maybe that will come later as she ages and realizes what all she lost...but, for now, her perspective is amazing....

For answers to prayer and getting a glimpse of Lexi's perspective...I am so grateful and blessed.

No comments: