Saturday, October 24, 2009

What a day....

Crazy busy.  I accomplished a lot today!  This morning we got our family pictures made for our annual Christmas card.  It just isn't a photo session without tears from one of the kids.  Lexi was moved to tears towards the end of the shoot.  Thankfully, she pulled herself together and finished it out.  I was exhausted afterwards.  There is something about trying to get kids dressed and looking good that creates an incredible amount of work and stress.  I hope we get at least one good family picture from all the effort. 

Once we got back from that I went to the library...actually three libraries.  I went to the Burleson Library, SWBTS library and TCU library.  Mom is here so I was able to make the rounds and pick up about 15 additional resources for my paper.  I have never moved so fast and furious at a library than I did today.  I was on a mission and the mission was accomplished.  I got some great new books to beef up my paper.

By 2:30pm I was back home grabbing Braden to go to his soccer game.  We flew to the game and it was a lot of fun to watch.  He is improving and his team is improving.  They still struggle and Braden loves defense because he can just sit back and wait for the other team to bring it to him and then kick it halfway down the field.  Fun times.

After Braden's game we had meltdown city.  It was so. much. fun.   NOT!  Braden and I had a major confrontation and it wasn't pretty.  He has been pushing the limits and finally pushed me to the edge.  He was supposed to go to Peter Piper's Pizza with my mom for dinner.  It was a reward for doing well with the pictures.  Unfortunately, I had to keep him home and he had to miss dinner.  He was very angry.  He destroyed his room (threw everything in the middle of the floor).  I tried to use Love and Logic with him.  It worked in some ways.  In other ways, I think it just ticked him off.  The end result was good.  Once he calmed down, cleaned his room, and had a long heart to heart talk with mom, the rest of the evening went beautiful.  

Why is that kids are so affectionate, respectful and delightful after a major confrontation like that?  Once we talked it through, he was like another child.  Thankfully.  

Parenting is tough.  I don't like it when the kids have to suffer big consequences.  I don't like it when I allow them to push me too far.  I know that I have relaxed too  much with him lately.  It is so hard to be consistent, especially when you are crazy busy and exhausted.

I'm not sure how well I am doing with Braden.  I question myself and my parenting abilities on a regular basis.  I pray God is working in his life and that I am doing the best that I can to provide structure and affection in his life.  I worry about him.  I really do.  God give me wisdom and insight in knowing how to best parent Braden.  I need it.  I want it.  For his sake.

No comments: