Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's Official

I will have an empty building by next Saturday. They finally told my real estate agent who came by to finalize the listing that they were indeed moving out. They have two stores in the town where I own the building and they are downsizing to one store. It makes complete sense to me. I suppose it makes me feel better that they aren't moving to another building because that would reflect on me or my building.

The truth is, they aren't making it financially. They need to cut costs and this is one way to do that.

It's been a tough relationship with them. They came into town about 6 years ago and began picking off the competition. Brian was one of their competitors. By God's grace, Brian had a few assets they needed and so they offered to buy us out (instead of putting us out of business like they did one other competitor). I can look back on that and now be grateful. At the time, it felt like we were being bullied out of business. However, it was a fair deal and we benefited from it.

My side of the story is that they were some of the most difficult people I have ever worked with. Nothing was ever good enough. They paid their rent late every single month. It took an attorney to get them to even sign a lease with me after Brian died. It was a nightmare. They even tried to quit paying off the business after Brian died because they thought they could. Again, I had to get an attorney involved to get them to make good on what they had promised. They were going to short me about 20,000.00. Can you imagine someone having the nerve to try to get out of paying a debt because the one they owed it to was dead?

I know they have a side of the story too. I'm sure there are things I could have done better and I know they have issues with Brian. But, that's all in the past. I don't ever have to face them or deal with them again.

I was thinking today. It's interesting how time changes things. Six years ago they were rolling in money and could come into town and bully whoever they wanted to. Today, they are just trying to keep their doors open. I'd say they got what they deserved but I don't want to get what I deserve. So, maybe, I'll just say that life has a way of coming back to bite you. We do in deed reap what we sow. Sometimes it takes a long time to see the justice. But, there is always justice.

I'm not happy they are struggling. I wish they could have made it because then I wouldn't need to find a new tenant or buyer. It does, however, reinforce to me that when we think other people are getting away with something, they really aren't. I can't help but think Brian would take some solace in knowing the big bully finally fell. I don't mean that in a cruel or revengeful way at all. I would never wish failure on anyone. I'm just observing the long term saga and how it has played out.

It's official. A new leg of the journey has started. I'm grateful for the way God always provides and have complete confidence that we will be more than just ok....

No comments: