Monday, November 03, 2008

High Points for this Week...

The past few days have been extremely busy and filled with some high points worth noting.

On Sunday, we had a guest speaker whose testimony was meaningful to me. The topic was forgiveness and the wife of one of the people who was shot and killed at Wedgewood Baptist Church in 1999 talked about how she came to a point where she was able to forgive her husband's killer. Fogiveness is not a huge issue with me, but the fact that she became a widow in her late twenties connected with me in a powerful way. I am continually amazed at how God is able to bring glory to Himself through tragic life circumstances. It was good for me to be reminded of that....yet again.

Today, our staff went to hear William Young talk about his book, "The Shack". It was again a message that I needed to hear. The one statement that caught my attention was...."People are looking for certainty in life. However, the only certain thing in life is God's character". Wow. How true. It was reaffirming to me because that has been the conclusion I have come to after experiencing Brian's death and all the questions that have come with it. I didn't put it in those exact words, but that's exactly where I landed after searching and questioning God for a good while in counseling. It was again, a good reminder of how God's character has been revealed to me in a very real and powerful way. The author's personal life story was also interesting to hear. It helps me understand more of the book after hearing how he was sexually abused as a child. The pain of the main character in this story is the author's own pain. He shared that it took him eleven years to work through his pain and confusion about how God could allow what happened to him as a boy to happen. I could write a lot more about this, but suffice it say, I was touched deeply by his talk and by his perspective on the character of God.

Finally, I presented my main paper for the semester today. It went well. My grade was given to me after class as well as affirmation about my topic and how I presented it. I couldn't be more pleased and surprised by the positive words from my professor. I have said this before but I love learning and I love that the things I am learning are impacting me and my family in a positive way.

It's been a good week.....for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Yipee Shelly---sounds wonderful. I would love to hear Young speak--how fortunate for you!!!
Marsha