Monday, November 24, 2008

Dread....

The semester is winding down.  I only have one more week of classes.  Today I received the last paper from a student in our class who will be presenting the last day.  His topic was on the importance of the father in the home.  I read through it today.  

Ouch....it was painful to read.

Statistics indicate my kids are likely to suffer/struggle from many more things than two parent families.

I was discouraged when I read it.  Really discouraged.

I'm not sure I can sit through two hours of learning about why my kids are going to be hurt by the absence of their father.

I dread it.  I don't want to go to class.  I really don't.

I don't want to leave beaten down.

This particular student is from another culture, one that stresses the dominant father role even more so than American culture.  His paper is nothing but a discourse on how screwed up kids will be when they don't have a father in the home.

I understand how important the father is.  I just wish his paper had offered more hope to the single moms.  Single parents are an easy whipping target.  I hate that.

I don't know how to deal with the dread I feel about going to class....it's going to be hard to listen to it.

What does that say about me?  I don't know.  Maybe it says I am in too much denial about my kids and how they may turn out.  I don't want to accept the "norm" of what happens when kids don't have a father in the home.  I'd like to think we will be different....but maybe we won't.  

Truth is, my kids haven't had any of the major problems this paper lists...yet.  Maybe it's too early to tell.  Maybe the worst is to come.

Or, maybe we will be able to defy the odds....that's what I am hoping for....

Dread.....pure dread.....I don't want to go and listen to all the reasons my kids may be messed up......I prefer to "hope" in God's role in their life......

1 comment:

Laura said...

That sucks. That day will be no fun for you. Maybe when it's time for comments you could talk about ways that churches could reach out to single moms. Maybe put a positive spin on things. I too have heard a lot of stats about children who are raised without a dad, but I have heard some good things too. I have even read a book on the issue written by a guy who grew up without a dad and he turned out great! I'm sure your family will have some challenges, but I have full confidence that you will defy the "norm" and your kids will be "more than OK."