Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm learning some things....

The lady came by to talk to me today and things went well. It has been a real eye opening experience for me to be exposed to what people are thinking when they are searching desparately for God. I guess I had forgotten what it was like to just want to know Him....I've been so blessed to see the genuine search for God from this lady.

I'm not sure how this story will end. I don't know if I will continue to be a part of her journey or if I have served my purpose completely. She was again very complimentary of how she thought I had helped her. I'm not sure it had anything to do with me. She is a very self-motivated person who has made much progres because she was willing to put in the time and effort to make changes in her life and in her thinking. I take her compliments with a grain of salt but I also see them as affirmations that this is an area God can use me in. I have to admit that I get pretty jazzed when God allows me to "comfort others in the same way in which I was comforted".

I guess the main thing that I have learned from this is that our compassion should have no agenda. We should want to "be Jesus" to others and trust God with the results. So many times I think we get it backwards. We have this spiritual agenda for hurting people and it gets in the way of showing true compassion and comfort. I have seen firsthand how you can meet someone where they are at....extend that compassion and comfort....and then see how that creates a hunger to understand and know God.

I think I am beginning to understand that one of my role's in the body of Christ is to "be Jesus" to those who are hurting. I'm not a charismatic speaker or a dynamic leader....I don't get jazzed about trying to strike up a conversation about God with every waiter, stewardess, salesman, etc. I meet. But, I do feel competent and passionate about helping hurting people. I'm thankful for this emerging role....I'm thankful that the most painful event in my life has led me to the point where I CAN "comfort those in the same way I was comforted"....that I can give back to others because I was given so much compassion, comfort, grace, support and love. I'm not paying it forward....I'm paying it back.....and for that I'm incredibly grateful.

No comments: