Thursday, September 06, 2007

Recognizing the good....

One of the things that I have wrestled with throughout this process is being able to understand how good can come out of something so tragic. I don't understand how God does it. But, he does. God is able to use "all things" in our life to achieve His purpose for our life.

I saw that again this week.

Last night I attended the funeral visitation of my best friend during my childhood years. Her dad was the pastor at my home church and her mom was my piano teacher for many years. Her older sisters babysat me. We spent many Sunday nights after church together at Mr. Gatti's Pizza. I have a ton of memories that involve her and her family.

She died this past Sunday after a hard-fought battle with breast cancer. She has four children ranging in age from three years old to eleven years old. My heart has been broken for her husband and for her kids....but also for her family....for her sweet mom....

I don't know exactly how to put it into words....but I know that God used me to minister to her family last night. He used a lot of people to minister to them....the funeral home was overflowing....but, I think I was able to be connect with them in a way that few other people could. I've walked the road they are on....and they knew that.....and because of that I was able to comfort them in the same way I was shown comfort when Brian died....I was able to try to answer their questions about what to do with issues they were facing with their kids.....

The truth is...there aren't any magical, easy answers about what to do with kids in every circumstance and situation.....but, I could at least share what I had done and why I had done it and whether or not I thought it was helpful.....

And, I felt useful....feeling useful in a time of sorrow and crisis is an empowering experience.....in the past (before Brian's death) I think I would have felt totally inadequate in knowing what to do or say....but last night, I felt like I something to offer them.....and I wanted to allow God to use me...and I think He did......I guess I felt like my life was achieving some purpose beyond me.....I saw some "good"....and I recognized it as "good"....


And....for that I am humbled that God could use me....and grateful that He is always faithful to achieve His purposes...through every situation....

And....I continue to pray for her family....for her kids...for her husband....because the road is soooo long......

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I came here from http://don'tcallmeveronica.blogspot.com

it fits......Thanks

Marsha said...

Oh how faithful I find the love of God in our lives. This week I came across this in a griefshare:

"While God does not always give answers to your questions, He always gives Himself. You can focus your attention instead on the faithfulness of God, His comfort, and His promise to work all things together for good (Romans 8:28). You can trust Him when you do not have all the answers."

I also believe we must be open to be used and through that, we are blessed immeasurably.
blessings,
Marsha