Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Still thinking about Monday....

My good friend emailed me today reminding me that there are several types of families that are fatherless.  My family is fatherless because of a death.  My kids weren't rejected, they were cherished by their father.  He left behind a very distinct legacy of love for them.  She makes a good point.  And, I completely agree with her that lumping together all children without fathers doesn't paint an entirely accurate picture.

And, while in my head I know that....my heart still hurts when I hear generalizations being made that are negative.  I never wanted to be a single parent....never thought I would be....it's an identity that is almost completely negative.  

Words are important to me.  My love language is definitely words of affirmation.  Single parents don't get much affirmation....there aren't many nice words written about them or said about them.  I think that is why listening to the presentation on Monday was so difficult.  Words are powerful in my life....probably too powerful.

Brian knew that words were important to me....he understood that was the best way to communicate love to me (took several years of marriage for us to figure each other out...but we did)....I miss that....I miss those powerful words of affirmation that he provided.

The only thing more frustrating than not feeling affirmed, is knowing that it is an unrealistic expectation or demand for anyone else to try to fill.  I am trying to learn to find my confidence and affirmation in God, but it is slow in coming.  It doesn't help when your role in life is so looked down upon....

Enough already.....this horse is dead....let it rest.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

But really--it is not dead---

Single parenting is something I never really understood until I was one. Now, I get it. Though it MAY be optimum to have two parents, it often isn't "practical" for lack of a better word. Yes, one parent can raise perfectly healthy, well-adjusted children. Is it difficult? yes, does it take more effort? yes--is it doable---YES!!! I have example after example of perfectly adjusted student who only have one parent (for one reason or the other)-- YOU are a great parent--you provide a safe, loving and spiritually sound environment for your kids--Good for you!! Hang in there---
M