Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Giving or just exchanging....

I have realized this Christmas that there is joy in giving, but not in exchanging.

It seems that most of what Christmas has become is "exchanging" gifts with each other.  We work hard to buy the right things for people because they are in turn buying nice things for us. Every year the list gets longer because family expands and relationships deepen.  I stress over making sure I don't forget anyone and if someone gives me something unexpected I feel like I should give them something too.  It's not that we give only to "exchange", but that is what it has become.  

Giving, on the other hand, is most often undeserved and unexpected, and maybe even not reciprocated.  Even Scripture tells us it is more blessed to give than receive....I think we have it confused and think it is blessed to give and receive.

I found joy this Christmas in "giving".  I wish I had spent more of my money "giving" instead of just exchanging.

True giving involves sacrifice and has no strings attached.  The few times that I was able to truly give this Christmas brought me the most joy.  A couple of times it was monetary but I also had a chance to give of myself and my time to a few people.  I got a real kick out of those opportunities....Yes, I think I even felt "blessed" by those incidences.

I am not sure how to change how I do Christmas next year, but I would like to try.  I suppose I have a whole year to plan how I am going to do that.

I think I understand now why all the Christmas stress is so bothersome...it's become all about "us"....and there is no joy in a life centered on us and our own desires.

Here's to a 2009 filled with "giving"....not just at Christmas either....I pray God gives me nudges all through the year to offer what He has blessed me with to others....just yesterday I was able to give a gift card to Target to someone who needed baby formula.  They don't know it was from me, no one does.  I need to give....it's what I am supposed to do....it's what I find the most joy in doing.

For opportunities to give, I am grateful.

No comments: