Thursday, December 04, 2008

The funniest 6 words.....and their effect...

I know the suspense is killing you.  What are the funniest 6 words?  

It happened tonight at my last Research and Stats class.  I was waiting to ask my professor a question about our final after class.  I was standing next to "the guy" in my class who probably understands stats better than anyone in our class.  He was talking to the professor about tutoring students in research and stats.  The professor looked at me and said the funniest 6 words I have heard in a long time.  He said, "you should be a tutor too".  I laughed and said "oh no, I wouldn't be good at that".  He said "yes, you really would.  I'm serious".  

I quickly changed the subject and asked him my question about the final exam. 

When I walked out of the room I almost burst out laughing.

He has no idea what a stretch it has been for me to do well in statistics this semester.

I have had to work my tail off to bring myself up to speed.  It's been 10 years since I had a master's level class in statistics.  And, to be honest, I still struggle with it.  It doesn't come easy to me.  I would have no business tutoring students in statistics...no business whatsoever....it would be the half-blind leading the blind.

But, then I got to thinking about my take-home final that is due next week.  And, I found myself wanting to do better on it because of what he said.  It's the old "self-fulfilling" prophecy.  He thinks I know what I am doing.  Therefore, I don't want to disappoint him.  

Words are awfully important to me.  If you tell me you believe in me, I will kill myself trying to live up to your expectation.

If, on the other hand, I don't think you believe in me....I will either work hard to prove you wrong, or decide it isn't worth the fight.

Hmmmmm...a good reminder to me about the power of words...and how they affect people.

Now....I guess I better get busy on that take-home final....

No comments: