Monday, December 15, 2008

Hospital Visit

I visited a dear lady who was in the hospital today.  It was just what I needed to be doing after a frustrating morning.  I sat down in the chair beside her bed,  and talked with her for a good thirty minutes.

I left there feeling like that was the best thirty minutes I had in a long time.  There are times in ministry when you want to rush through visits and check them off your list.  I usually am in such a hurry that I am in and out quickly so I can move on to the next part of my day.

For some reason today it felt like I should stay and sit...and listen a while.

She talked....and talked...and cried....and talked...and talked...and cried some more....and talked...and talked...and laughed....and talked some more.  

It was where I was supposed to be. 

I am thankful that sometimes God prompts me to stop....slow down....and be "present" with someone who needs to feel loved...who needs to be heard....

Before I left I held her hand and prayed with her.  It was a sweet time.  I am concerned about her health....it reminded me to be thankful for my health and to remember that life is a gift....and it can change in a heartbeat....I should know that, but I needed to be reminded of that today.

For today's visit with Mrs. Faye, I am grateful.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm sure she enjoyed seeing you as well. Your presence today probably made her day as it did yours.