Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Life as a Landlord

One of the roles that I have to play involves being a landlord to a residential rental home and to a commercial property. Being a landlord is at the very bottom of my list of things that I wanted to be when I grew up. As a matter of fact, I think I have expressed my "hatred" of this role. It just isn't me and it isn't any fun.

Today I got to play the role in all its glory. My commercial renter has this way of kissing me on one cheek with a compliment and then slapping the heck out of my other cheek with some false accusation or complaint. I should know better by now but it happens every time.

For about the past two months I have tried to take the bull by the horns and deal with issues that have been ongoing and extremely frustrating. If nothing else, I have now established a decent relationship with the tenants and they feel comfortable calling me when there is an issue. This is in stark contrast to how I operated right after Brian died. They didn't call me and I didn't want anything to do with any of it. So, my building manager dealt with everyone and everything and I basically approved expenditures and checked the bank account balance to make sure we were in good shape.

I realized today how far I have come in trying to manage what I was left to manage. I have made some decisions recently that I think have been good business decisions. I have been more proactive about maintaining my relationship with the tenants. I have stopped by the place to check on things and talk with the tenants and other contractors. It doesn't bother me much anymore to go to the building and be in it. I remember the first time I went in after Brian died. I was so uncomfortable and had so many flashbacks to when he was still alive. Now, I go there and I think to myself "Wow, this is weird that I own this building....and I even try to act like I know what I am doing".

I didn't enjoy all the phone calls I got and had to make today. It still isn't any fun to try to be something I'm not. But, I handled things and at the end of the day everyone seems happy. I don't know what I am exactly trying to say with this post except that maybe I have accepted this role now....not that I want it...but, I do accept it and I am trying to do a better job of playing the role....

I see progress with the relationship with the tenant and I am hopeful that someday we will have a healthy business relationship...we are closer to that than we have ever been....but still a ways to go.

And...not that it matters....but I think Brian would be surprised and proud of the way I am trying to handle things.....but, mostly, I am just proud of myself that I have finally taken this role on and tried to become a better manager of what God has given me to help provide for my family.

And, to be honest, I think my dad is grateful that I am handling some of the things that I am capable of handling....and I know my building manager is thankful that I have taken more ownership of the issues we have to deal with on an ongoing basis.....

So, I think it's probably a good thing.....and for the most part, I am doing ok at it. I'll never be great at it....but at least I am trying, really trying....

No comments: