Sunday, January 06, 2008

Parenting.....

This past week my dad made a comment that has rolled around in my head for the past few days. It's not important specifically what he said. However, the insinuation was that maybe I was trying to do too much with my kids. He wasn't being critical, he was trying to encourage me because he knew I was frustrated with myself.

So, I have been questioning myself the past few days...almost to the point of losing my confidence in my parenting.

The truth is, I have no idea what the final outcome will be with my kids. I read a book the other day that said that there are very few examples of children who grow up in single parent homes who become "spiritual champions". "Spiritual champions" is a little bit of a nebulous term but the book was written by George Barna who is known to be a guru in Christian research. I respect George Barna and so I was caught off guard by his bold statement.

I don't think Barna's research is an indictment on my kids or my parenting, but it does give me something to think about.

I hope and pray that my kids will defy the "norm" for kids who grow up in a single parent home. But, there is no guarantee...and that scares me...and it causes me to be critical in my evaluation of my parenting....

So, I guess my kids are at a disadvantage....but, I've never minded being an "underdog"....and I have a lot of hope that maybe, just maybe, my kids will defy the odds....

1 comment:

Laura said...

For what it's worth..probably just $.02...I think you are doing a great job parenting your children. Like you've said before, you didn't ask for this..this wasn't your choice...it just happened. You are making the best out of a tragic event and I think that's all that anyone can ask for...even George Barna.

I hope and pray too that your children defy those odds and while there's no guarantee...I think they're well on their way.

Here's some familar advice..don't be so hard on yourself. You're a great Mom!