Monday, January 28, 2008

The gift of new beginnings....

A new beginning is a gift. I realize that more and more in my own life. New beginnings allow us the opportunity to adjust our lives and prepare for new growth. New beginnings give us hope that we may continue to find our voice, our influence, and our giftedness in order to make our unique impact.

I believe 2008 is a new begining for me. I am ready for a new beginning, really ready. I am making adjustments in my life and in my home so that I can embrace and initiate changes in my life that will benefit me and my family.

I have spent the past couple of weeks reorganizing my home. I went through Brian's office today and made it my office. It was a very freeing and encouraging experience. I shredded so many documents and things that no longer have any relevance in my life. I was reminded of the stress and strain that accompanied Brian's death and the legal ramifications that were feared but never realized. I saw letters from attorneys, insurance companies, etc. and I was relieved that those issues are in the past and they have no power or control over my life.

My parents gave me a room makeover for my bedroom for Christmas. Again, it seems as though what used to be "ours" is now "mine"....and that feels ok.

I bought a new kitchen table this weekend. I had sold "ours" in a garage sale last fall. I had waited quite a while to replace it but last weekend it just felt like it was "time". I am making plans for a kitchen makeover this spring.

I think some of these changes are more about trying to create my own new beginning in my home....

The biggest new beginning came today when I had my first day of class as I began my residency as a PhD student. I am truly excited about this new opportunity to learn and grow professionally.

A new beginning is a gift....and I thank God for new beginnings.....

4 comments:

Marsha said...

Yes, new beginnings are very important in the healing process. My new beginnings started with buying a new home and creating a new space for my boys and me. You will find great strength in the decision to move forward.
Blessings,
Marsha

carla said...

Shelly, I rejoice with you for your "gift of new beginnings!" Congratulations also to Nathan and Lexi for their hard work at school! To reflect the title of your blog--God's grace, healing, and strength seems to be so evident in the life of you and your family.
May God give you the continued endurance you need in the new beginnings!

Bruce said...

Good for you! God is the God of new beginnings, and I continue to pray for you and the kids. Someday I guess I'll be addressing you as DR. Shelly!

His peace on you.
B~

TimAtheist said...

New beginnings ARE a blessing :)

I just happened to stumble upon your blog and I'm glad you are experiencing the new beginning of this new year. My new beginning was this month: the Lord finally healed me of all past guilt and regret and brought me closer to him than ever before.

I will pray for you and your family. It is good to have burdens of the past relieved and the Lord to assure that those things are over and done with.

God bless :)