Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's the little things...

I took Braden tonight to his second soccer practice.  Out of three kids, he is the only one who has seemed interested in sports.  It's been a little disappointing to me (if I am completely honest) that the other two haven't thrived in sports.  Both Brian and I enjoyed sports as kids.  I guess I assumed my kids would also enjoy and have some measure of success at sports.

Braden was in his element tonight.  For the first time, I saw one of my kids absolutely engaged in a practice.  Several parents told me what a good player he was going to be.  Wow.  That has never happened before.  Better than that, though, was the grin on his face the entire time he was playing.  Every time he would score or do something good he would look over at me with the biggest smile.  He was incredibly proud of himself.

It seems silly, but I'm thankful for tonight...thankful that I got to see one of my kids be successful at sports...thankful that he was feeling so good about what he was doing...hoping maybe sports will be a way for him to get some appropriate attention....just incredibly thankful for the little things in life that make me smile....

He may completely check out next practice, and maybe he was doing well because he didn't have much competition (not sure how to gage his team)...it really doesn't matter...I am just thankful for one beautiful, late August evening that I got to watch him flourish....may never happen again...and that's ok too...

For the little things in life...I'm grateful...so very grateful.


No comments: