Tuesday, August 04, 2009

VBS Week

VBS is here for 2009. It has been a great week so far. I've had some really cool moments that have reminded me of how far I have come.

I haven't been focused on VBS being connected to Brian's death. There has been no emotional connection there this year. This is a huge change and something that I am very grateful for. The past three years have been stark reminders of what happened the week of VBS in 2005. This year it is a non-issue.

I realized it was a non-issue when a child was brought to me yesterday who had just lost her cousin in a car wreck. The little girl got upset in the large group rally time because it was her first time being back in the worship center since the funeral for her cousin. Without hesitating, without thinking about it all, I was able to talk with her. I teared up a little but it was for her, not for me. I understood what she was struggling with and we had a nice talk about her cousin, how normal it is for her to be upset and sad, etc. I'm thankful to be in a place where I can offer my empathy and not let my own "stuff" get mixed in and become overwhelming.

Another highlight for me was Sunday night at the off-site VBS. It was a simple gesture but I was blessed. Two little girls came to the kick-off party without their swimsuits. I noticed them sitting over to the side crying. I went up to talk to the mom and found out they were crying because they couldn't swim. I asked the mom if it was ok if I ran to Wal-Mart and bought them both a swimsuit so they could enjoy the pool. She said yes and so off I went on a mission. I rushed off, found a couple of swimsuits at Wal-mart, and came back to deliver them to the girls. They were thrilled and so excited. The mom thanked me over and over again. I know the girls were happy to get to swim, but I was blessed by being able to give them something as simple as a bathing suit.

It feels good this year at VBS. Lots of wonderful things happening. The best is yet to come....

Grateful for time and the healing it provides.....

No comments: