Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Probability or a Promise?

I finished up my last summer readings class tonight. It was a better experience but still a little disheartening at times. I did step up to the plate and graciously offer a different viewpoint when one of my fellow classmates made a statement that didn't jive with me. That's progress for me, to be willing to say I disagree with someone in a room full of people who all think they are right....

The issue was about parenting. The same gentleman that said he wouldn't counsel a Budhist made this statement in regards to his parenting approach: "I tell my kids that if they obey me the Bible promises they will live a long life....yadiyadiya...."

I responded to his statement by saying "yadiyadiyaya...parenting...yadiyayaya....and while I would tend to agree with you that if children obey their parents it may prolong their life, I think it is speaking more in terms of a probability than a promise. We all have known people who have honored their parents and have lived what we would consider a shortened life. I think we have to be careful not to promise our kids that if they obey us they will a long life because that becomes problematic when someone they love dies very young." Silence. No response.

I was gracious and kind but also firm. Am I wrong? I don't think so, maybe, but I don't think so. I think the Scripture uses the word "may" live a long life...not "will".....

Scripture does, however, use the term "promise" and not "probability". How do I explain that? I'm not sure. I just know that logically it contradicts itself if we have to take that verse to mean that everyone who honors their parents is guaranteed a long life.....


Ephesians 6:1-3
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise-- 3 "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."


Yes, this one is also personal. Brian loved and honored his parents as much as anyone I have ever known. His parents will tell you that he never really gave them much trouble. Of the four children they had, he was the most respectful and compliant. Brian showed honor to them as an adult. He had plans drawn to build them a house someday and give it to them as a gift. He was a dreamer but he always thought of ways he could bless his parents. On our wedding day we each wrote a letter to our parents honoring their marriages and thanking them for their influence. Brian honored his parents...he wasn't perfect and he was disobedient like all children...but he loved and honored them....and he died at 35.....way too early....

When I spoke up tonight I never mentioned that I had a husband who died young...I didn't make it about me....that's progress too....there is a time to disclose and tonight wasn't it. But, I did make a valid point that I hope will give this gentleman pause for thought.

After the silence, another student said "yeah, I tried that line with my teenage son and he said he didn't want to live long anyways"....laughter.....I think this gentleman uses Scripture to maniuplate his children into obedience...but that's another discussion for another day.....




Thoughts???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You were gracious and restrained. I admire that you are honoring your own progress.

Also, if you made the point that eloquently on the fly, I am impressed. Very articulate and nuanced.

As for the scripture, that translation clearly says "promise," but also says "may." I read it as saying that honoring your parents is a condition, but not a guarantee, to full joy as well as a long life.

Unknown said...

You were gracious and restrained. I admire that you are honoring your own progress.

Also, if you made the point that eloquently on the fly, I am impressed. Very articulate and nuanced.

As for the scripture, that translation clearly says "promise," but also says "may." I read it as saying that honoring your parents is a condition, but not a guarantee, to full joy as well as a long life.