Sunday, August 17, 2008

Parenting thoughts....

Just some random thoughts....


Nathan has established a new relationship with the mirror, gel, and my hair-dryer. It seems we have crossed over into the realm of "caring about our hair". I'm not sure I am ready for this. I have a new hair-dryer on my Target list for this week. Sharing just isn't working.

I bought some new hair products the other day. The kids have been mesmerized by them. Who would have thought a new brand of gel, some new shampoo and conditioner, and some frizz-ease/shine enhancer would get so much attention from the kids. They LOVE the conditioner....what a sheltered life they have lived.....they think its some kind of treat.....

Braden remains a huge challenge. Today has been especially difficult. One of the things that is missing is that I have no ally in parenting him. There is no one to put him in his place when he is disrespectful to me. Instead, I have to constantly take up for myself and remind him to be respectful to me. I do my best to stick up for myself...but, tonight, I am just tired of battling with him. I desperately need an ally.....and yet I know that isn't going to happen. I am somewhat discouraged right now with him. Hopefully, this is just another rough patch for him...one that we will both grow through....

I'm doing a paper this semester on "entitlement and overindulgence". Needless to say, the reading that I am doing is giving me pause for thought in how I parent. One of the things that has struck me as significant is that I am going to work on only doing for my kids what they cannot do for themselves. If they are developmentally capable of doing something I am going to ask them to do it. They can pick up their dirty clothes, take their plates to the counter, pack their own lunches, etc. Sometimes it is just easier for me to do it, but that prevents them from learning and accepting responsibility. I think it is probably a fine line between challenging kids to grow and frustrating them. However, for me, I tend not to let them get frustrated....and sometimes a little frustration does them a lot of good.

Not sure all that makes sense, but the reading I am doing has been thought-provoking and challenging.....maybe by the time I write the paper it will make more sense and be more coherent.


Until then....

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hum...life at Shelly's home...never boring

I noticed their fasination with the hair gel before I went home. I thought it was pretty funny. Watch out for Nathan...he'll be a ladies man before long.

Hang in there with Braden. I'm sure this is another one of his phases which you will ride out and in the end, your parenting skills will pay off and Braden will be a man of great character.

Interesting notes about your paper. I would be interested in reading it when you are done. You could use that to do a conference or class at church too!