Monday, March 19, 2007

Life is so interesting

I have begun to learn that you better be careful when you brag on your kids or when you are too critical of someone else's kids....you know what happens....the very next day your child does or says something that makes you cringe....and then you wish you had never said anything.....

I guess it is somewhat the same with your parents. It makes life interesting I guess. Today, after this wonderful heart to heart conversation with my dad this weekend, my dad calls and among other things says "now...all you need to worry about now is finding a daddy for your kids". He was trying to be funny but he was also somewhat serious. He said, "of course we don't want just any man, we want God's man for you...blah, blah, blah...and I guess if God wants you to raise these three kids by yourself then you will do the best you can....blah, blah, blah". Come on dad....you are an incredible dad and I love you...but if I could reach through the phone I would smack you. My kids have a daddy. He just doesn't live here any more. My goal in life isn't to find another daddy for them. My goal is to do everything I can to make sure each one of them reach their potential...to make sure they find God's purpose for their life....and that is enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life....

Parents. They mean well...but this is probably one of the most "ridiculous" statements my dad has ever made. No, I didn't try to correct him or tell him what I really thought....I know he means well... and, I am still choosing to focus on the great conversation we had this weekend....but, come on.....what was he thinking?

In less than 48 hours my dad manages to provide both the high point and low point of our relationship....in terms of significant conversations...guess he thought he was on a roll so he would just go out on a limb.....as long as he doesn't make those kind of comments the new theme of our conversations I can let it go..........still scratching my head in disbelief over that one....

2 comments:

Bruce said...

And so it goes. No matter how old you get sometimes parents will say things that make you feel like they see you as a 4 year old and really can't make a decision for yourself. My dad still says things that make me go, "Are you freakin' kidding me?!?" I'm sure I do it often to Allie also. What can you say, eh?

B~

Shelly said...

and so it goes....and so it goes.....guess I will probably do the same thing to my kids too....eh?