Saturday, March 31, 2007

Finding bits of good here and there

Every once in a while I get to see some good come of the tragedy I have experienced. This week was one of those times. My sister called and told me about a man in her church that died unexpectedly this week. He left behind a wife and a three year old child.

She called because their church had not ever experienced the death of a young father. This was someone in her age bracket and many of her friends remembered that she had a sister who lost her young husband. They looked to her for advice because she had experienced death first-hand.

She asked me what were the most helpful things people did for me....what should she tell people to do or say to help minister to this lady.

I told her I could talk all afternoon about what people did that was helpful to me. But, most importantly I told her that I didn't remember anything anyone said to me, but I do remember them being there. I also told her that this was her chance to be Jesus to this lady. Use whatever resources and abilities you have and allow God to nudge you to do things that will minister to her.

I remember how overwhelmed I felt by the love and support of people. I truly felt God's presence in the most undeniable ways because of the way people took it upon themselves to be Jesus to our family. Sometimes the church is at its very best during the most difficult of circumstances.

She asked me a lot of other questions and I answered them as best I could...she called me later and said her pastor took her notes and had decided to print off a brochure to give to people to help them know what to do, what to say, what not to say, etc....

I guess this is one of those times when I am finding bits of good here and there.....and for that I am grateful. I can't yet say that I am grateful for the tragedy (that'll be the day!) but I am grateful for how God can use me...even as wounded as I have been....

4 comments:

Bruce said...

You are so right, you never will be grateful for what happened to Brian, but I appreciate the fact that you are willing to share with others what you've gone through (and are going through). You may never know how you helped that young woman who lost her husband, or how you helped your sister's church, but you can be sure that God did use you...even wounded as you have been.

His peace on you.
B~

Laura said...

Using your situation, to help others in need...I don't think this is the first time you have been able to do that. There will NEVER be anything that will make you grateful for the tragedy, but God is using you to reach out to others who have experienced similar situations. I think that is God working to bring something good from a horrible event.

Robert said...

In writing what you have shared on this blog being so real and open about your pain your dealing with day to day life you ARE Jesus to many who come by and read here thank you

Jamie said...

Shelly,

I came across your blog today. In one of your older posts, you said that perhaps this blog was only relevant to you. Make no mistake, your "outloud grief journey" brought me to tears and had me shaking my head "yes".

I have not lost my husband. I can't imagine what that must be like to live through. I have had my own set of losses in the past year though. Many of your questions of how we integrate our faith and our view of God in the midst of loss was just striking to me. I've had many of the same questions and pondering.

Your bravery and honesty is an inspiration to me. Thank you.