Sunday, May 03, 2009

Fun times with the Family



The pictures above are the kids at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, Texas. Brian's mom and brother and his kids came down for a getaway this weekend. My kids had a fantastic time with their cousins. Nathan's comment on the way home from the hotel last night was "mom, can we do something like this with them again?" It was a sweet time and I found myself completely and totally enjoying spending time with Brian's family. It seems we have created (at least for this weekend) a nice post-Brian relationship. I felt loved and accepted and I know my kids felt a strong connection to Brian's family this weekend. I couldn't help but see Brian in his brother's facial expressions this weekend.
Brian's mom, who is 72, rode every ride. Yes. Every. Ride. Wow. I was impressed. The only trouble she had was getting in and out of the tubes. I can't help but know that Brian was grinning somewhere in heaven. I hope I do things like that when I am 72.
I'm sure it helped that we had no distractions and that we were on neutral ground. Regardless, it was one of the sweetest times we have spent together since Brian died. I am very thankful for this weekend.
This weekend answered some questions about where we stood in relationship with them. I feel more at ease and peace about continuing this post-Brian relationship. I think they really do want us to stay a part of their lives and I am thankful for the assurance of knowing that.
Who knows how life will change or how our relationship will change over the years..I don't expect or want it to stay the same forever....but, for now...it's good....and I am grateful...really, really grateful.

No comments: