Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cheering from the sidelines...

There was a time in my life when I would run in various races for different causes and charities.  The longest run I ever ran in was a 15k and I did that particular race three times. One of the things that I remember about this race were the people who would cheer from the sidelines.  At every water station there would be some cheerleading group or school group yelling and clapping for us as we ran by and grabbed a drink.  It was always so encouraging to hear those cheers.  It made you want to run a little bit faster and hold your head a little bit higher.  There were also times when you would come across a single person standing on the sidewalk who would cheer for each person as they ran by.  I know that for me, as long as there was somebody cheering for me, I would continue to run and run hard.  It was during those parts of the race when no one else was around that I began to slow down or even take a few feet to walk.

This past week has been one of those times when I have felt like there have been some people cheering me on from the sidelines.  On Tuesday afternoon I was feeling incredibly anxious about speaking the next day to Dr. F.'s class.  I am not one to put out a request for prayer but for some reason that day I felt it was something I really needed.  I was excited about doing it but felt sick to my stomach wondering if I could really do it.  So, I put out a request on Facebook.  I'm not sure what I expected but what I got were lots of loud cheers from the sideline.  There were people I didn't expect to respond who wrote things on my status that deeply touched my heart.  There were several who emailed me words of encouragement.  Honestly, I wasn't expected such loud cheering.  I just wanted people to pray for me.  Instead, not only did they pray, they made me want to run a little faster with my head held a little higher.

I posted an update afterwards and again I was blessed and encouraged by the cheers from the sideline.  One lady and I exchanged emails and I never in a million years would have expected her to say the things she said to me.  Her daughter was in my son's class the year that Brian died.  We knew each other only because of our kids.  She goes to another local church.  However, she encouraged me in a way that few other people have done.  I sometimes forget that people have been watching....people I had no idea were touched by Brian's death.

And....my sister posted that I was her hero...I'm no hero and I certainly never expected her to say that.  I can't help but think back to all those knock-down-drag-out fights we had as kids.  We have come a loooong way and I was very taken back by her comment.   I suppose it gives me hope for my kids...that maybe someday their relationship will turn out like ours.

The race has been long and hard but I am so grateful God has sent some people into my life to make me want to keep running the race...with my head held high....I'm in it for the long haul and God has blessed me in some incredible ways lately....for that, I am PROFOUNDLY grateful.


No comments: