Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blessed beyond words....

Today I spoke to Dr. F's crisis counseling class at SWBTS.  There are no words to adequately describe how meaningful this was to me.  For one thing, I considered it such an honor to have been asked to do it.  I completely respect and admire the work and teaching of Dr. F.  God has gifted him with an amazing ability to help people in crisis.  His credentials to help people in crisis are impressive and vast.  He was heavily involved in helping survivors of the Wedgewood shooting in Fort Worth.  I feel very blessed to have been given an opportunity to have him as my counselor for over three years.  I know God could have used anyone to help me, but I am glad He chose him.

I struggled to know how to approach the hour that I was given to speak.  I wasn't sure how much of my story to tell or what to focus on.  He gave me some direction but not a lot.  I landed on a plan that seems to have worked fairly well.  I told the story of what happened and then talked about my experience as a wife, mother, minister, counselor and client.  The group seemed most interested in how I dealt with my children.  It was a very positive experience for me.  I viewed it as yet another way God has brought good out of a very bad thing.

Afterwards I stayed and talked with several students and Dr. F.  It was so cool to hear the things that they appreciated me sharing.  It was very affirming.  Dr. F. told me that when he began to plan for this class he immediately thought of 2-3 people he wanted to come and speak.  He said I was one of those people that he felt could have a unique perspective and impact.  It was a nice conversation and he told me that when he taught the class again he would like for me to consider coming again.

One of the things that he said was that this is sort of a neat transition for me in that now I am able to train others how to help.  Wow.  What a cool thing....to have come to the point in the journey where God can use me in that way.

I 'm blessed beyond words tonight....and exhausted.....I won't lie, it was stressful and emotionally draining....but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world....

So very, very grateful and hopeful....


No comments: