Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Ups and Downs of Life....

I'm exhausted right now.  We've had a jam-packed full schedule the past couple of weeks.  As I was driving to church tonight I had an almost panicky feeling....It's been too much, driving to Oklahoma for two Sunday and Monday's in a row....I'm worn down.  

To be sure, there have been a lot of Ups and a lot of Downs lately....here's a recap:

My residential renter is behind two months rent....he'll be moving out at the end of June and so I will be looking for new tenants...joy, joy!

There's rumor that my commercial tenant is not renewing his lease at the end of July.  This could be a good thing if I can sell it or release it quickly.  This could be a very bad thing if it sits empty for a long time.  There are significant bills related to this building....and it provides a small amount of income that would be sorely missed.

Nathan hit his TAKS scores out of the park.  He had three tests and only missed one question total out of all three tests.  He scored a 100, 100, and a 97.  I am so proud of him.  He has worked so hard.  He also scored the highest possible on the writing portion of the TAKS.  Wow.  He takes pride in his work and it shows.

My dog knocked out a neighbor's mailbox...145.00 to replace....ouch.

I left my sunroof open on Sunday night and it rained....found a huge mess inside the next morning.

I lost my cell phone and all my contacts.  I replaced it today...I'm out 200.00 more for that replacement.

I met with my professor today and his evaluation of my speaking for his class was good.  The students liked the guest speakers he brought in and indicated it was a very helpful part of the course.  He will be teaching it again next May and he said he'd like me to come back.  We talked about where to go from here and he gave me an idea for my dissertation that's related to children and crisis/trauma.  I'm cautiously optimistic about this possibility.  It would be so meaningful to me to be able to do my dissertation in this field that I am passionate about.

Lexi and I had an interesting conversation tonight about all the things her friends have been saying about sex, sexy, humping, etc.  She is very open with her questions and I like that about her.  It makes it a whole lot easier for me.  Her source of information is one little girl in 2nd grade and 95% of her information is inaccurate.  I'm learning as I talk to her how to sift through the bad info and find out what she really means when she says those words.  Thankfully, Lexi is still very innocent and clueless.  It's a difficult balance to know how to answer enough of the question to give her what she needs to know but not give her too much information that she's not capable of processing yet.  

There are some unique possibilities for expanding what we offer in terms of support for children and their families that we are exploring at church...I don't understand how all of it might work but the possibilities are interesting and exciting.  It's amazing what is out there in terms of grant money....I'm praying God will give us wisdom and discernment in knowing how to pursue it.  It will be a learning experience whether we are able to participate or not.  I'm thankful to know these types of programs are out there.

So...lots going on....still processing and pondering a lot....

One thing is for sure, life is never boring at my house....for that, I think I am mostly grateful.

No comments: