Saturday, July 26, 2008

First Negative Experience

Last night I had a meeting for a class I am taking this summer.  The class is "Psychology of Religion".  The book that we discussed focused on how religion affects our coping abilities in crisis situations.  I loved the book.  Highlighted and underlined a ton of stuff.  I completed the entire book (500+ pages).  I was looking forward to hearing from the twelve other people in my class.

Instead of focusing on what the book was actually about, we chased rabbits all night.  The biggest rabbit that they hunted was whether they would counsel a person from the religion orientation of buddhism.  Would they continue to see the person or refer out if they had no religious  connection to work from?  Frankly, I could care less if the person is buddhist or atheist.  If they are in a crisis, the last thing they need is for someone to compare religious viewpoints to see if they mesh.

I was frustrated with the arrogance of a few people.  Since when do we make conditions on whether we will help people through a crisis?  I wanted to ask, "what do you think Jesus would do?" if a buddhist was in crisis? I can not for the life of me understand where some of the people were coming from.  There was a huge need for some of the people to be "right" and by golly they were going to be "right" if it took all night to argue their point.

I really did not feel like I fit in last night.  I still enjoyed the learning process and it helped me focus some of my thoughts and beliefs, but I am having serious doubts about whether I want to minor in psychology and counseling.  It was pure torture last night.  

Having said all of that, I still love learning.  I love being challenged to think and grow.  I gained a lot by reading this book because it hit so close to home.  I saw myself in the book and it shed some light on my own experience.....for that I am grateful.


1 comment:

Marsha said...

I am still of the belief that until you have to defend it--nothing you believe matters. You have much to impart to students in this class. Though I face life (and grief) from my spiritual perspective--so does the Muslim, Buddhist, Baptist etc...IF you are to council, then these spiritual perspectives must be taken into account. I guess I never knew how much I missed academia--but I do...
M