Saturday, May 17, 2008

My life is never boring!

Last night I spent some time in the Emergency Room with Nathan. He was playing at a friends house when he got a fishing lure stuck in his thumb. Ouch!!!! My neighbor two doors up is a doctor so we called him and he sent us to ER. Something about a "pain block" being necessary when they pulled it out (yes, numbing is a very good thing). So, at midnight, off we went.

I've been in the emergency room with Nathan (he broke his arm) just one other time since Brian died. It was a hard experience. I missed Brian and his presence. Last night, it just seemed normal for me to be there alone. We handled things just fine. My parents were here so they stayed home with the other two kids.

I made a big decision yesterday to "reassign" my building manager. I now have a new guy taking care of the building in Granbury and the old one has the sole responsibility of depositing the check and paying the bills. I am pretty sure this will be a good long-term solution. My tenants are going to be much happier and I believe the building will be better taken care of. He also has much more expertise in dealing with building issues. It was a hard decision but my dad and I both felt it was the right thing to do.

I also had a new garage door opener put in yesterday. The technician tried to be funny as he was explaining how I could manually lock and override the remote controls. He used the example if me and my husband got in a fight and I wanted to lock him out....he kept going on and on so I finally said, "well, I don't think that will be a problem. My husband died three years ago."....I felt and showed no emotion.....I just wanted him to shut up....and he did.....I didn't feel bad or embarrassed for myself or him....again, it just seemed normal....how does that happen? Not sure, but it seems I am able to handle situations like that much better than I used to could.

I am sure there could be something coming around the corner that may derail all my progress....but, for now, it sure feels like we are moving full speed ahead. The fog of grief has lifted and I am able to make better decisions and plans.

For that....I am very, very, very grateful.

No comments: