Friday, May 09, 2008

A glimpse inside his heart...

Today I had a three way conference with Nathan, his teacher and myself. We do this three times a year and this was the last one for the year. The kids have been learning about biographies and one assignment was to write an autobiographical poem. Nathan wrote one that gave me a glimpse inside his heart. Nathan keeps his emotions and thoughts mostly to himself. It is rare when I feel like he has shared something with me that is personal and emotional.

I've asked the teacher for a copy of the poem but the gist of what I remembered was this:

Nathan
Son of Brian and Shelly M
Lover of his family

(forgot some of the content in the middle)

Is excited when he is with his whole family.
Fears his family or friends being hurt.
Wants to see joy and love in other people....

(can't remember the rest)


Intereseting poem. I was proud that he listed being the son of Brian and Shelly. He has tended to not want to draw attention to his loss. I also was reminded how much he does love his family.....and then, that he fears his family or friends getting hurt....understandable....the important thing, though, is that he shared that he was afraid of that....

We talked about the poem tonight when I tucked him in. I thanked him for sharing his thoughts and feelings with me in the form of a poem. I told him I was proud of him opening up just a little.

I'm pretty sure he thinks I am crazy....but, this is progress when he voluntarily writes about what he loves and fears....this was personal for him.....and for him, that is hard.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Since I've read this post, I've been thinking about how you talk about Nathan's tendenacy to keep his thoughts and emotions to himself. I know someone else like that too.

That's a great poem. He seems to express himself through art of some sort (poetry, drawing, etc..). That sounds a lot like his Mom to me.

I hope I will get to read the rest of the poem at some point. It made me smile, getting a glimpse into his heart.