Sunday, October 28, 2007

Interesting Day

I managed to sneak into the morning service and hear most of the sermon today. It was about faith and how once we become convicted that we are to do something that we trust God with the outcome. It hit home with me because I have been struggling so much with knowing how to rebuild my life and what it should look like. There are very few things that I am certain about any more and I find myself questioning and analyzing myself to death. I left there realizing that faith is a sort of partnership. God does what only He can do and He expects me to do what He asks me to do. In other words, we both have a stake in it.....and there are things that God wants to do in my life but he is waiting for me to submit my life to his will and purposes. The hard part for me is knowing exactly what it is that He has asked me to do. I tend to look at obedience as though it were the very small part of the target and I am expected to hit a bullseye in order to be in His will. I am learning that obedience isn't so much about the bullseye as it is about focusing my life on finding God's purpose for my life....the big picture....


And so....after I had heard that sermon....I went away from it thinking to myself..."ok God, you do what only you can do and I commit to doing my part...whatever that is...I want to do it".....

And then.....I went shopping.....I needed a new outfit for the interview I have on Friday with the PhD committee....I went on Friday and Saturday and had no luck....so out of desparation I enlisted a friend to go with me because I have no fashion sense whatsoever.....and so we went this afternoon.....

Much to my delight and surprise we found everything we needed at one store....we were finishing up in the lingerie department at Macy's where I got some hose and a camisole......just a side note, I have never been real comfortable in the lingerie section.....I don't know why, but I always hope I don't run in to someone I know....it's just the way I am....

And here is where the story gets interesting......

As I am paying (in the lingerie section), down the aisle walks Dr. M. (she is the professor who is recommending me on Friday to the committee). I had a brief moment of indecision....I didn't know whether to pretend like I didn't see her and turn where she wouldn't recognize me...or to just go ahead and say hello.

I chose to wave and say hello to her....

She came over and we had the nicest conversation in the lingerie department in Macy's...just five days before my big interview.....what are the chances of that? She was very affirming....supportive and encouraging about my upcoming interview.....she complimented the paper I had written for the application and said some things I wasn't expecting to hear.....

So...what is that about? I really don't know.....but I think maybe God has a pretty good sense of humor.....

There is a part of me that feels like our chance meeting was a divine appointment....because her affirmation provided me with a little bit more confidence about myself and about God's direction for my life.....and I can always use a little of that.....

For an interesting day like today....I am grateful.....

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Wow!! you go GIRL!!!
I needed to read this today--thank you
Marsha

Gary Means said...

I'm not quite sure how I ended up at your blog today. I really appreciated the "God moment" story. I went back and read a bunch of your posts, until I made it all the way back to your first one.

Thank you for sharing your life with others. As I read, I was encouraged by the goodness and faithfulness of God. It sounds like you and your family are moving forward through the good times and the hard times with God and one another.

Several years ago I faced surgery to remove a tumor in the middle of my head, on my pituitary. The surgery and follow-up radiation when well. My life is different, but good. A good friend of mine is dying of liver cancer. He's already beaten all of the odds. Things are beginning to look a bit more dire now. But through my circumstances, and through his, God sustains. God comforts in ways that cannot be explained.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. Your story just reminded me of what it means to lean on God. It's still tough, but God is good all the time. God is good.

A prayer for you:

Dear Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I have no idea as to what Shelly needs, so I ask that You would meet her deepest needs. I ask that You would bring people alongside her to support her as she raises her children. I ask that You would plant beautiful seeds of faith in each of her children, that they would grow to be adults who know and appreciate how much You love them. May they love You passionately in return.

Please give Shelly the wisdom as she makes difficult decisions, strength as she faces daunting responsibilities, courage as she looks to the future, endurance as she works to fulfill so many roles, and a deep joy as she holds her children in her arms and in her heart. AMEN