Friday, June 08, 2007

Death.....

I received news late tonight that my "pawpaw" died this evening. It's my dad's dad and he leaves behind my "granny" who has her health but not her mind. I am sad mostly for her and for my dad. Yes, I will miss him but my pain will be nothing compared to my dad and my granny's.

Pawpaw is the one who gets credit for teaching me how to drive. I'll never forget his red pick-up truck that he would take me out in for my driving lesson. I looked forward to visits with him because I knew I would get to take a "Sunday afternoon drive" with him. The town they lived in had no stoplights and just one gas station. It was definitely the perfect place to teach a young teenager to drive.

I also remember the fourth of July that a "whistle chaser" landed next to me on the car I was sitting on. Pawpaw was the first to quit laughing and realize that it had scared the bajeebers out of me. I think it scarred me for a few years but I specifically remember the extra care and attention he gave me when it came time to shoot fireworks.

Kindness and faithfulness probably best describe him. I am thankful for his influence in my life and thankful for the son he raised to be such a great father to me. May God provide comfort and peace for my granny....just as He promises.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Dear Friend,
I am sorry about the loss of your pawpaw. Don't worry about things here. You concentrate on you and your family. Know that as you travel to OK and go through the events of the next several days, you and your family will be in my prayers (especially your dad and your granny).

Bruce said...

I also am sorry for your loss. God's peace on you and your family.

B~

Gigi said...

Deeply sorry as well for your loss...