Sunday, November 01, 2009

Fall Ramblings

I'm amazed that we are now officially in November.  Wow.  This Fall has been one of the craziest seasons I have ever experienced.  Life has been overwhelmingly busy.  The pace has begun to slow down (thankfully) but I fear this is only the calm before the Holiday storm.  It makes me cringe to think that we are within just a few days of heading full steam ahead into Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The kids each snagged an award at the Nine Weeks Award Ceremony at their school.  Nathan and Lexi got "integrity" awards and Braden got a "compassion" award.  I'm proud of them (as if that wasn't already obvious from the last post).  We celebrated their report cards and awards on Friday night with dinner at Outback.  YUM!

Today marked the official first step into the journey of the empty commercial building in Granbury.  I shared with the kids tonight during Family Time that we needed to pray that God would provide a buyer or renter for my building.  They had lots of questions.  My main focus was not for them to worry about it, just to pray about it.  I'm definitely praying about it.  I still have a peace about it and know that God is God and His provision never fails.  I'm trusting in that, but making adjustments where I can. 

We talked during family time tonight about "wisdom" versus "foolishness".  We are either wise or foolish in our decisions.  If I could somehow impart this truth to my kids and help them apply it in their lives, I know they would find God's best for their life in whatever they do.  Later, I heard Lexi telling Braden, "is that a wise or foolish thing to do?" when he was about to smear something on the couch.  Gotta love it when they immediately apply something....

Last night was a lot of fun as we took the kids trick or treating around the neighborhood.  I felt some guilt because we weren't at the Boo Bash in Old Town Burleson.  However, based upon the experience we had last year, I couldn't force myself to take the kids back.  I miss the more controlled environment (seriously, I don't want to see adults dressed inappropriately and neither do my kids!) of our church hosting a Fall Festival.  It did make me feel a little less guilty when I heard from lots of parents of preschoolers that they didn't go either...and for the same reason.  I did, however, miss seeing all of our cute preschoolers in their costumes....I saw some of them around the neighborhood but it just wasn't the same.  Maybe we can figure out a way to do something for preschoolers next year at church...something to think about.

As the fog of this Fall has begun to lift I have realized how isolated I let myself become and how tunnel vision robbed me of some great times and fun.  It's almost like I checked out last month and just went on auto pilot in mock speed.  I don't want to do that again.  Life has to slow down and I have to quit isolating myself.  My kids deserve better than that from me.

Ramblings...ramblings....that's all for now....

Grateful for the seasons....more determined to enjoy them....




No comments: