Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thankful....

It's no secret that I HATE being a landlord. It is a role that I NEVER, EVER wanted. I don't enjoy it one bit. Unfortunately, it appears I am in it for a while longer. The economy is not such that selling is an option.


However, this week I am concentrating on being thankful. I am thankful that the insurance company is putting a brand new roof on my rent house. I will not be out a penny for this 5500.00 improvement. I can be thankful for that.

The insurance company is also paying for some repairs inside the house. My tenant is fixing those things and painting the exterior of the house in exchange for some of the rent he owes me. He does good work and will probably do a better and more thorough job than someone I could have hired. I can be very thankful for that.

My air coniditioner unit has gone on to glory. So, I "get" to replace it to the tune of several thousand dollars. The good news is that I won't have to worry about my new tenants having any problems with the AC. The bad news is that I am out a large chunk of change.

However, I am trying to look at it this way: I am getting a new roof, an outside paint job, inside repairs and a completely new AC unit for about 3500.00. Seems like a heck of a deal to me...if I just look at it that way.


For insurance, I am very grateful.

1 comment:

The Widower Dad said...

It's all about perspective, or sometimes perception :)

You seem much more comfortable than I would be having all the work (and cost). Kuddos to you for choosing to view it all through a thankful lense.