Monday, March 16, 2009

Wax on, Wax off....

I love the first Karate Kid movie where the main character finds himself training in a lot of areas that aren't obviously beneficial.  He questions his trainer's techniques but chooses to follow the regimen even though it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have used this analogy before for my life right now.  I am doing a lot of things that seem like I am just "waxing on, waxing off".  I often wonder if what I am doing has a purpose.  I am sure there are people in my life who question my "waxing".  

Yet, sometimes, I see how the education, training and experience I have are creating a purposeful future.  2009 has been a big year for me already.  I am now officially a Licensed Professional Counselor.  I have been working on the client contact hours for the past 4 1/2 years.  I even had to request an extension because it took me longer than the average bear.  But, I reached my goal and I am moving forward to see how God can use that credential to bring Him glory.  

This semester I am doing a directed study on crisis counseling.  As a result, I attended a conference last week by Alan Wolfelt on helping children and teens with grief.  It was a three hour conference and it felt so good and so right to be there.  I have a huge amount of compassion for parents who are struggling to help their children work through grief and loss.  It was one of those moments in my life where I knew "this is where I am supposed to be today".  I drank up the conference and I'm still thirsty for more knowledge.  

Later this month I will be completing part of the requirements for my directed study by hosting a CISM conference.  The goal of this is to become certified in critical incident stress management and to put in place a team of counselors to provide assistance and ministry to our community and schools in times of crisis.  Again, I am WAY excited about this and look forward to seeing how God will use this training to minister in His name.

So, going back to school has brought me to a point where I am now seeing the fruits of my "waxing on and waxing off".  I would not have gained this expertise had I not gone back to school.  I am thankful for the glimpses of purpose I see for my life and for the way God has allowed me to stretch and grow and be challenged.

Today, I received a letter from the parent of the person that I worked with a couple of weeks ago in a pretty intensive counseling relationship related to grief and trauma.  I saw her every day for an hour for 7 days.  Her dad wrote in the letter and told the person he gave the letter to to give to me that "she was a different person after talking with you". Unfortunately, I probably will not see her again as she lives in another state and was only here for a short visit.   I folded up the letter and put it in my desk drawer  as a reminder that God is bringing beauty from ashes.  Only God can do that.  It has nothing to do with me or my skill.  It has everything to do with how God helps us turn our greatest pain into our greatest gifts.  

Side note:  I know that she wasn't a different person because of meeting with me....while I appreciate the compliment, it's not true.  She is the same hurting person who has a long road ahead of her.  But, for one week, she released some of that pain and hurt and I happened to be the one to walk through that with her.  God could have used anyone to do that.  For whatever reason, I got the privilege of ministering to her.  I am thankful for the opportunity.  That's all.

When I write about successful opportunities to minister I'm not wanting to toot my horn. Rather, I write about them as a reminder of who God is and how He is working in my life.  I need those reminders to look back on when times are difficult and things aren't going so well.  
I get lost in the "waxing on and waxing off" and need "evidence of grace" to get me through the dark days.

For a God who knows me, loves me, redeems me, heals me, and uses me....I am grateful.
 


No comments: