Thursday, March 26, 2009

A new perspective...

One of the surprising issues that I find myself dealing with on an occasional basis is the stigma of being a single parent.  I'm proud of who I am and how I am trying to parent my kids.  I know that I am doing the best job I can and that I work as hard as probably any parent out there trying to create a positive environment for my kids.  

Well meaning people....and I used to probably be one of these people....can say really stupid and hurtful things.  Today, I listened to a stay at home mom describe the differences between two VBS' in terms of the crowd they attracted.  Her point was that the night crowd was made more up of single parents or working parents who wanted to bring their kids and help.  She directed the day time group and the insinuation was that the night group was made up of "different" kinds of families.  I know there was no intention of being hurtful at all.  I appreciate this volunteer's willingness to step up and serve.  I just wish we all would quit stereotyping people and the lives they lead.  Not all single, working parents are bad parents.  Not all children who come from single parent homes are bad kids.  And, by the way, those are the very families who need to be reached the most.  Those are the parents who need the church the most!!!!!!  

I have a different perspective than I ever wanted.....and, unfortunately, there is a stigma that's difficult to shake when you are a single parent.

When I hear those kinds of statements it always catches me off guard...and I understand they are innocent remarks....but it also reminds me of the huge ministry opportunity that we have with "single" parents....I pray we don't miss out on those opportunities!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there is a stigma to being a single mom. I have been single for four years now and raising my kids on my own. You would think others would be supportive and not shun you. Many married people don't seem to want my kids to play with theirs because they must be bad. Well I can tell you my kids are the best. I actually wrote a book about the struggles of a single mom and the introduction actually touches on the subject of why I am single and how people always ask me why? I usually tell them it is really none of their business and why does it matter. I just am single. Hopefully the book will help other married couples realize the struggles of a single parent and to just give us a break for heavens sake. http://www.eloquentbooks.com/SurvivalOfASingleMom.html