Thursday, January 29, 2009

This Week's Highlights....

I am thankful for a wonderful, hopeful, and restful week.  The week didn't start off that way with Lexi and Braden throwing up in tandem in the middle of the night.  The mess and the laundry were magnanimous.  Thankfully, my mom was here and she helped with one child while I helped the other.  Mom had to leave early Monday because of the impending weather but she was still very helpful.

Tuesday night we had an ice storm that gave us a day off on Wednesday and Wednesday night (no church activities).  It was an amazingly relaxing day.  I actually took about a thirty minute nap Wednesday afternoon.  I can't remember the last time I had such a nice, long afternoon nap.   If I get to lay down it usually only lasts for 5 minutes or less because the phone rings or my kids need me.  So, this was extra nice and did me a world of good.

Today, Nathan and Lexi brought home good report cards.  Both of them had improved in areas and excelled in some new areas as well.  Both of them received awards at the 9 week awards assembly.  Lexi received an "accountability" character award and Nathan received the Olympian Award for his class.  I had a chance to be there and show my support.  I couldn't help but sit there and think to myself..."my kids are making it...they are more than just ok....they really are."

Nathan started out the year on a challenging note with his teacher.  I really never expected her to single him out and give him the award for his class.  I am thankful that she has not held anything against him or me because of the concerns I shared with her at the beginning of the year.  I have more respect for her now because she has moved forward and been a great teacher for Nathan.  It is amazing how things sometimes turn around.  I also pointed this out to Nathan and told him how proud I was of the way he worked through his struggles with his teacher.

I can't write this post without sharing some of the things his teacher said about him....

For Nathan:  Nathan is, without fail, a willing and hard worker who gives each task his maximum effort.  Additionally, he stays optimistic throughout the learning process regardless of whatever new challenges he faces.  He is able to use his creative streak beautifully and effectively to help support all areas of his learning--which is a task not all students are capable of accomplishing successfully.  Most importantly, he is such a kind and compassionate young man who never has a harsh thing to say about anyone.  Although I would love to take credit for his exceptional character, I must admit that he simply came to me this way!  I sincerely could not be more pleased to be able to guide him on his academic path this year!

Nathan has the "best of Brian" in him.  I am so proud and thankful.  I know his dad would be so pleased to see how he is turning out...even with the difficulties he has faced.

Lexi has also been a joy to watch.  Her teacher had some very kind comments to say about her as well.  "Lexi has worked very hard these past nine weeks to meet her goals in all areas of study....She has made tremendous progress in her emotional responses to classroom situations.  She has learned to focus on what she can do and keep working on that which is difficult.  She has become outspoken in small groups and class discussions (a noted weakness the first 9 weeks).  She recently made a presentation with her literature circle partner and not once did I have to tell her to speak up.  She seems to have adjusted to her new school world beautifully."

Lexi is my sensitive, caring child who doesn't want to upset anyone.  The first nine weeks she struggled because her teacher wants her to speak up more and be more of a leader.  This teacher places a premium on kids learning to stand up for themselves and fight for what they think is right.  Lexi had to work at becoming that type of student.  I am proud of the adjustments that she has made and the way she is responding with her words and thoughts instead of her emotions.

Yeah kids!  

I thought this week about my identity as a "single" parent.  I don't like it at all.  I think maybe we should be called "double" parents instead.  It's double the work...double the responsibility...double the pain sometimes....but also double the joy!  

Life has been good and sweet...for this I am grateful.

Oh yeah, I did my generous act(s) for January.  One was anonymous and one couldn't be anonymous.  I truly feel like God led me to do both of them.  I must say that there is "true joy" in doing for others with no expectation of anything in return.  It is truly more of a blessing to give than receive.

No comments: