Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ahhhhhhhhh......Blood Pressure is Going Back Down!

For the past week I have had workers in my house from 8:00am to 6:30pm.  Tonight, they left at 7:45pm.  However, they are DONE!  A huge wave of relief has just set in and I think my psychological systems are returning to normal (ha).

Seriously, I bet there is a study somewhere that says women go nuts when they have a disaster in their homes for more than 24 hours.  It has been incredibly stressful, but the results are GREAT!

The only negative thing is that once you start updating.....then you realize other things need to be done as well.  I suppose this is only the beginning...better start saving more pennies.

I guess that since I am a counselor type I notice how change like this affects me and I read more into it than I should.  For example, I am sitting here in my living room looking at the huge built-in bookshelves that are completely empty and I can't help but see those shelves as a blank slate.  There aren't any pictures of my past....and there aren't any pictures of my future....it's just blank.  

Here's where it gets tricky.  I like the fact that there are no pictures of my past.  It's a little bit of a relief to not be looking at pictures of Brian.  It's not that I don't want to be reminded of him or that I no longer love him.  It's also certainly not that I want to forget him.  I want my kids to have a sense of his presence in their lives and I cherish the life we built together.

However, a blank slate seems a little freeing.....and I am attracted to that....

Finding the balance between honoring our past and straining for the future is a difficult task....I'm not sure I know how to do that.....but at least I now know what I am aiming for...

In the next few days I will be trying to fill those shelves back up....but I will be doing it with some intentionality....and some help!  A friend called yesterday and offered to help me redesign the look of it....I am going to take her up on it.

For blank slates...I am grateful....and hopeful that my home is becoming a reflection of the life I am rebuilding.....



1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm glad your house looks great! I can't wait to see it tomorrow. I would offer to help with the shelves but I'm not much of the decorator. I'm sure whoever it was that offered is much better at that stuff than I am.