Tuesday, January 06, 2009

This puppy is costing me money....

One of my reasons for not getting a dog was that they cost money.  They need to go to the vet, they need to be fed, etc.  I told my kids many times that I didn't want the responsibility or the expense.  I was reminded of the truth of this fact last night.

My house lost power about 2:40pm yesterday.  I came home about 2:30 to get Nathan for his orthodontist appointment.  I let the dog out to use the bathroom but then put her back in her small crate in the house.  I knew we would be gone for a little while but little did I know that we would not be able to get back in our house.  When the power went out I lost my ability to get in the house.  For several months I have been using my garage door opener as my way into the house.  I haven't carried a house key in a while.

Obviously, when the power goes out the garage door opener does not work.  And, if you can't get in your house, you also can't get to your dog to let her out.  

To make a long story short...I called a locksmith at about 9:00pm and he came out and got us in our house so that poor Maggie could get out of her crate and not be stuck there all night alone.  

Surprisingly, the locksmith only charged me 55.00 to come let us in.  I was expecting a lot more.  

Yes, the dog costs me money...and stress...and is a big responsibility.......but she sure makes my kids happy.  They are really doing a fine job with her.  

Our power did not come back on until 7:30 this morning.  I made the right call to have someone get us in our house.  I can't imagine leaving her in there all night.  

It was an interesting evening.....and a long (and kind of cold) night....

For my power being back on tonight....I am sooooo grateful!

No comments: