Saturday, November 17, 2007

What I know For Sure....



I have several blogs that I read on a daily basis. One of them is written by Marsha, a young widow from Illinois. I came across her blog via the "Young Widow Bulletin Board" that I used to spend a lot of time reading and benefiting from the experiences of other young widows. She wrote a post a few weeks ago in which she listed the things that she "knows for sure". Her post came out of a sermon that she heard where her pastor encouraged the congregation not to let the things that you don't know get in the way of what you do know. In other words, instead of focusing all your energy on trying to understand what is unknowable, remember what you do know and let those things guide you.

So, I read her blog and was very moved by it. She challenged her readers to list what they do know for sure....so here is mine....

1. My children are a gift and I cherish them. Our family is different than what I had imagined it would be. But, we are one great family. I am proud of who we are. I am proud of my kids.

2. God has been faithful to me in and through all things. His character is knowable. His love has been experienced. His comfort has been given. I am grateful....truly grateful for who He is.

3. My mom and dad are also gifts. Their support during the past 2 1/2 years has been amazing. My mom has come and stayed with me and helped me through busy times. My dad took on the two businesses that Brian left behind and has helped me deal with more issues than I ever knew I could or would have. I am eternally indebted to them.

4. The local church that I am a part of has been Jesus to us to the point that I also feel eternally indebted to them. Simple acts of kindness by dozens and dozens of people have shown my kids what Jesus would look like with skin on....I can't imagine going through this without their support and love.

5. Life is what it is.....and death is what it is. They mystery is no longer there....the reality of both has changed me.

6. I loved being loved.....and I miss that....but I am grateful to have experienced the unconditional love that Brian gave me....truly grateful....truly, truly grateful.

7. God has been able to bring good out of the tragedy I experienced. It doesn't mean that what happened is good....it just means that God is able to bring beauty out of the ashes....I have seen it firsthand.....I believe in the goodness of God.....

8. God desires for me to continue to grow forward....He understands my need to glance in the rearview mirror...Yet, He continually calls me to keep my eyes focused straight ahead....

9. I believe with all my heart that we are going to be more than just ok.....we have made it through some incredibly difficult days....and we are still smiling....still laughing.....still making memories.....and I look forward to the future...with great anticipation of what God will do with our lives.....


I am grateful for the things "I know for sure"....because it is these things that get me through those days when the "unknowable stuff" overwhelms me....

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Shelly,
Your post brought tears to my eyes, but greater than that is the hope it brings to the spirit of those who read it. God's ability to bring "beauty from ashes" is evident in your life. Those around you undoubtedly draw from your strength.
Many blessings to you,
Marsha