Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Progress

What is spiritual progress in the life of a believer? What are some signs that growth is occurring? In the past few days I have found myself evaluating my own growth and I think I can actually say there has been progress. I am not saying that I am where I should be or that I am some super-spiritual person right now. What I am saying is that I see some growth in my life. I see some instances where I think I finally "get it" about some things. I feel an unusual sense of "peace" and "contentment" with where I am at in my life. I feel like God has finally gotten through to me to be patient with his process, to trust his purpose, and to cling to his promises. My mind isn't going a million miles a minute trying to figure life out. I am at peace. I think I like it that way. How long will it last? Who knows, but it is nice to see progress (however small it may be) in my spiritual life.

5 comments:

Bruce said...

This is great. Peace. I like the sound of that. How about sharing some of the things that God has shown you, things you finally "get." This would make an interesting blog, or two, or several.

His peace continue to be on you.
B~

Shelly said...

Bruce,

Most all of my struggle is related to my journey with grief the past 15 months. The things that I finally "get" I have "gotten" because of some deep soul-searching that has come as a result of Brian's death. I can write about it, but it might seem redundant to some or not really all that applicable to others...I guess I fear people are tired of hearing about my struggle related to grief....because it has consumed me and my faith...it is only recently that it seems to be loosening its grip on me...

Bar L. said...

I remember feeling like that, and still do at times but not as often as I'd like.

Your comment to Bruce...this is your blog, for your thoughts and I think you should write about whatever you want. I don't know you so am not sure who Brian is, but would love to hear about it if you feel like sharing.

In two years of blogging one thing I've learned: write what I want not what I think people do or don't want to hear.

Please forgive me for giving unsolicited advise, I usually don't do that.

Laura said...

Look at you...spiritual progress sounds nice. I'm glad that you are finding peace. I agree with Barbara in that you should use this blog to write about what you want to, not what you think others want or don't want to hear. You never know who might relate to part of your journey. I know that I am not tired of hearing about your "struggle related to grief." I actually find it enlightening and helpful. Just my $.02 worth.

Shelly said...

Thanks Barbara...I appreciate the advice and reminder that "this is my blog and I can cry if I want to..." (little humor). It is a growing experience to even share thoughts/feelings/struggles...I will keep working on that.

Maybe my next blog will explain who Brian is and what he meant to me.