Thursday, October 19, 2006

Seeing meaning develop

Every once in a while I have an opportunity to see "meaning" develop from the "madness" of my life. I have this need (and I am not sure if it is always a good thing) for the tragedy that I have experienced to have some "meaning"...to be able to see God use it to achieve His purposes.

Today, I got a small glimpse of that. I had an opportunity today to minister to someone who lost their son in a car wreck. I can't share the specifics of the conversation but I KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I was able to minister to this person at a level that never would have occurred had I not experienced a tragic loss. Don't mishear me, I am not saying that it makes it all ok that I experienced a tragedy because I was able to help someone else...no way...sorry, I am not that "spiritual". But, it is really cool when God allows us to take the bad in our life and help someone else work through the bad in their life. I see "meaning" developing...I see God bringing good out of the heartache of my own life. For that, I am grateful....for that, I continue to make steps toward healing...today was truly a spiritual experience for me....

4 comments:

Laura said...

Good for you! I'm glad your meeting went so well. It's always interesting to see how God uses absolutely horrible situations and brings something good from them. Hopefully one day that lady will be able to in turn minister to someone else. Here's an idea- start a running list of all the ways that God is bringing good from the tragedy you have experienced. That way you can have it to look back on when you need to. I dunno if that's a good suggestion or not, but I thought I would try.

I'm beginning to think that Romans 8:28 might hold true after all.

Bruce said...

It is really good to hear you say (or write) that God is still able to use you even in the midst of your pain and sorrow. And it's especially exciting to see your comment, "For that, I am grateful....for that, I continue to make steps toward healing...today was truly a spiritual experience for me...." Truly a spiritual experience indeed.

B~

Bar L. said...

This is really encouraging to hear. I think its so true...sad, but true, that we can minister best from our own pain. I hope you heal a little more each time God uses you in this unique way to minister to others.

Shelly said...

Thanks fellow blogging friends....

I think 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 sums up my experience last week:

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God".