Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fun Times with the Family....

We carved pumpkins this afternoon. The kids consider this another tradition that can't be dropped. I guess I enjoy it too. I don't like the mess it makes but the kids always look forward to it. This is proably the last Halloween that we will have the table in our backyard. I am having some trees cut down in my yard because they are dead and this table is on the list of things for them to haul off. The wood is splitting and rotted. I tried treating it a couple of years ago and it helped a little. Brian built this one summer and the kids think it is special because he made it. It is special, but it is also falling apart. I guess we'll figure out where the new pumpkin carving spot is next year....

We have had lots of interesting conversations lately. Braden has become the child who isn't afraid to bring any topic up. Whatever is on his mind, he asks about it or talks about it. There are no taboo topics for him....and that keeps life interesting for the rest of us.

Last night we talked about what I would do if God put a baby in my tummy, if I was going to get married again, and a few other uncomfortable issues. Braden doesn't accept the simple answers. He has to ask a millon questions in order to try to wrap his mind around it. He could not understand why God couldn't put a baby in my tummy right now. He apparently has decided he would like to be a big brother. We went round and round and round on this issue. I even heard myself say "Braden, Iam too old to have a baby....God wouldn't do that...." That one hurt a little....to be admitting that I am getting "older" and past the child-bearing stage....ouch.

No, I don't want anymore babies....for obvious reasons...but even if Brian were here I wouldn't be interested...it's nice to have moved past that stage in life. Although, I wouldn't trade it for the world....I just am glad we are past that....amen!

I emailed my paper off to my professors this afternoon. It sure felt good to be done with another major paper. I still have the presentation to prepare for and I have some ideas but not sure I can make it all happen. I found a great Saturday Night Skit but I can't figure out how to download it to my computer. My paper is on overindulgence and entitlement. http://www.hulu.com/watch/38477/saturday-night-live-update-thursday-fix-it-109
(the "fix it" skit is midway through the video....you'll know you are there when Oscar Rogers comes on as the financial advisor for the weekend update)


The link above takes you to the skit... It's a reflection of the entitlement our country suffers from...we want someone else to fix it and we want it done NOW....and no one wants to take responsibility for their own bad choices...we just want the government to rescue us all....but that's not really what the paper is about, it's more about overindulgence and entitlement in families....

I have learned a lot by writing this paper....my kids have gotten several lectures from me...one of them was tonight. They have actually responded very well to some of the talks we have had. I am sure when they grow up the will need counseling from all the "by the way kids, I learned something today that I want us to talk about...." type conversations that we have been having.

Lots of fun times with the family lately....for that (and being done with my paper) I am grateful.

No comments: