Friday, April 20, 2007

Just Trust Me

Last Friday I was glued to the television set watching the weather as tornados were being spotted around the metroplex. My kids were with me and were a little miffed that we had to watch the weather instead of the movie we had picked out to watch that evening. I told the kids to go and get their pillows and blankets and put them in the guest bathroom so that we would be ready if we needed to take cover. They scurried around the house and got the things they wanted to put in there. Lexi even put "SuperBee" (a stuffed animal she got to take home from school because of her good behavior) in there. Once that was done the questions started.

Is it time yet...do we need to go to the bathroom?

Where is the tornado? Is that near us?

Will you tell us when we need to go to the bathroom?

So, if a tornado comes it will suck us up right?

Will our house blow away?

Is the tornado in Burleson?

I hear something...is it the tornado?

What if the tornado sucked us up would we die?

When we go to the bathroom do we put the blankets over our head or do we sit on them?

Which way is North? Are we in North Fort Worth?

And...the questions went on and on and on. Finally, in frustration I said to Lexi (in a very irritated voice): "Lexi, trust me honey that I will tell you when we need to go take cover....trust me that I am watching the weather and I know what to look for....please trust me that I am going to take care of you....I am going to do everything in my power to make sure we are safe....just trust me Lexi"

Lexi was so focused on her worries and on trying to make sure she knew exactly what to do and when to do it that she forgot she had a mom who would do anything to protect her daughter. But...She couldn't relax....she was obsessed with trying to understand what was going on and what she should be doing about it.

My frustration with her was that she was questioning me like I didn't know what I was doing. I was intently focused on the weather and where the tornados were at. We were prepared...we had a plan....and if the situation warranted it I would have had the kids in a safe place when the storm hit. Beyond that, there was nothing more we could do....and I understood that, but she didn't.

And then a lightbulb went off....I have been just like Lexi with God....I have asked him five hundred million questions and even insinuated that maybe He didn't know exactly what He was doing. I can almost hear Him saying the same thing to me... "just trust me Shelly....trust me that I will be faithful to you....trust me Shelly....just trust me" And....His love for me....far exceeds the earthly love I have for my daughter.....there will be storms in this life....but He promises to be there with me...and He has.....for that I am grateful....

3 comments:

Laura said...

I can so see Lexi asking all of those questions. Great analogy!

There's that "t" word again-trust. Yes, we do have a God who loves us and a God who knows what He is doing even when we don't. We have a God who is always with us and for that I too am grateful.

I wonder if through this journey God will seem more trusting now then He ever has before. Just a thought.

Gigi said...

Thank You for this...seriously a day where any pointing to Him is appreciated...I think I may be Lexi today...;)

Robert said...

I wonder why even when i absolutely know and have personal experience of His trustworthiness i still shy away so often still hesitate grrrrrrrrr want to simply trust and keep doing so thanks for this shelley